Which mp for long tones?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

I like this post. An honest one. My feeling is that there are a fair amount of trumpet players who (like myself) use several mouthpieces and are never certain which one makes the best practice room choice. I've only recently nailed down the best decision for myself.

While I'm generally at the very shallow end of the mouthpiece pool I've taken to using my largest mouthpiece for most practice. Avoidance of over training is my most important concern. I'd rather be slightly out of shape than be over trained.

So I just run through an easy warm up on my largest m/piece. Then all my harmonic minor scales, some middle register flexibility studies and a few ballads. I do this two to three times a week. All the other days I'm peeling paint above High C on a shallow mouthpiece.

And it works well. Had I spent a lot of time practicing on the shallow pieces? Would have felt cramped. No time for the chops to relax and find their groove. By not being over trained the shallow pieces can work their magic. And I'm still confident enough on my large piece to use it on the fly for those occasional "legit" tunes.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some things we just need to learn ourselves. I can switch mouthpieces at any time and it does not affect my playing. I practice with everything that I use and have several hours a day to fit it all in. There is no answer to your question, just conjecture until you make the investment.

I get the impression that many believe that there is a best way to practice/play, that there is a scientifically proven embouchure or type of breathing. The truth is that there isn't. We get good by LEARNING, not practicing. When we integrate mind, body and soul, magic happens! It isn't face time, it is a wide awake, intense time with our horn. Our bodies scream the results and answers. Most never listen.

When I have lead gigs, I practice that way. When I have symphonic gigs, I practice that way. When everything is mixed up, I just practice more. Style and attitude are my solutions not hardware or crutches.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To the OP I would say that you should practice on whatever mouthpiece you are going to be using most - that includes long tones. I gig almost exclusively on a Schilke 14A4 mouthpiece, so that's the mouthpiece I practice on. However, on the occasions where I have a gig coming up where I know in advance I'm not going to want that lead sound, I switch to a straight Schilke 14 and I practice on that, including long tones. I mean, why would you practice long tones on a mouthpiece other than the one you are going to use for a gig? My chops have always been very sensitive to that - I can get by using anything in my small collection of mouthpieces, but ultimately I want my chops to be comfortable and familiar with the mouthpiece on the gig. That lends itself to better sound, greater accuracy, better endurance, (won't be fighting the piece, but rather working with it) etc.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I was under the impression that long tones to build tone didn't require a special mouthpiece. I've always played long tones during warm-up exercises. Maybe I am missing the boat here?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am confused by the concept of needing a different mouthpiece for long tones. I use the same mouthpiece to make my trumpet sizzle in the high range, as I do to play dark tones in the low range. So my lead piece is my long tone piece, is my mid-range piece. Peace!

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I play the trumpet, not the mouthpiece. I do use different mouthpieces on various trumpets; use my "normal" set-up for my routine, but I warm up for a concert using the mouthpiece and horn I'll be using. I don't warm up for a Bach cantata with a "B" cupped mouthpiece in my piccolo!