Which oil is best for a new Yamaha Xeno?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    When my Ultrapure oiled Xeno valves stuck (after a long period of no use,) I cleaned the pistons and casings with Alisyn and then bathed the entire horn in dish soap and hot water.
    It has been said that Yamaha oil should be used for the break in and even after that. How about Al Cass? I have a lot of that but I also have the bottle of oil that was packed with the Xeno. I will switch back to Ultrapure when I have a good amount of hours on the valves.
    Should I use my already opened Al Cass or open the new bottle of Yamaha oil.:dontknow::-?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I would suggest the Yamaha stuff. It is great oil. I never liked Al Cass.
    The Yamaha stuff is formulated so the compounds in it evaporate at the same rate so there are no particles left behind by evaporation (or so I'm told)

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I too would try the Yamaha next. I personally do not like Al Cass much nor Alysin, but I do not have the same kind of horn you do, nor the same breath.

A bottle of valve oil, used PROPERLY, last many years, and costs about nothing.

Tom

4. mlrenick

mlrenick Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Ft. Myers, Florida
    I'm sure you will have many opinions but I like the synthetics. The brand I use is Hetmans (hopefully I spelled that right).

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stick with the synthetics. Al Cass needs to be reapplied EVERY DAY. Cleaning the valves and swabbing the case daily is real work!

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I use Yamaha Synthetic Light valve oil and I rarely have to use it.
    Hope this helpes

7. Curtis123465

Curtis123465 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    I've always found blue juice to work the best on yamaha horns. I've owned a few, and almost everyone I know that owns a yamaha uses blue juice... but I guess it depends on your horn.

8. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Blue Juice rocks. Grab a 2 ounce bottle and see for yourself. Bathe your horn before changing oils and swab down the pistons good. I usually soak the pistons in white vinegar while I bathe the horn. Make me want to eat potato chips, though.

9. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I totally recommend blue juice. I Use it on my Bach strad. and my Schilke X3. I haven't oiled my Bach in 5 months and it doesn't need any oiling for another 3 months. The valves move with great ease and a small bottle will last you a good 2 years. Im on my second bottle of the biggest one they sale, this is because EVERYONE in my band uses it. tubas, baritones, euphoniums, trumpets, trombones, they all depend on my bottle of blue juice.

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Xeno Artist Bb and C and use nothing but Ultra-Pure and they work great, but I play every day.