Which oil is best for a new Yamaha Xeno?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Valve oil evaporates. I would clean and oil your valves more than once every 8 months. What you see on the pistons is probably just condensation.

Valves work without oil, but it isn't good for the trumpet.

2. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    No matter what oil you use, get off your butt and oil the valves every day people! (which should be as often as you play or practice, right?)

As far as what to use, my favs:

T2
    Zaja Blue
    Ultra Pure

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Skip the Cass, I like Rowuk's suggestion of using a high quality synthetic.

I don't oil my valves unless they need it, and I can usually go 3-4 days (or more) with Ultra Pure and I play between 2-6 hours a day. If I use Al Cass, it's a constant battle and my valves need to be cleaned constantly.

4. Joe

Joe Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2010
    Ireland
    I find the Yamaha Synthetic Light valve oil works like a treat!

5. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I really like the Ultra Pure oils. They don't smell and are non-toxic. I really hate that diesel fuel smell that some oils have. The 2 oz bottle sells for about $6 but you can get the large refill (8oz) bottle for $15. It usually retails for $20. Both the oil and the greases they produce work very well. I believe they are highly rated by a several professional players.

6. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Oh yea, one more thing, I do recommend oiling at least once a week if not more depending on how much you play. All that acidic spit really washes away even the best oil.