Which one should I get??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by knf jazz cat, Dec 26, 2003.

1. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    I have decided on getting a Kanstul Flügel. I'm not sure which to get - the Chicago or the ZKF1525. I don't have a Kanstul retailer anywhere near me, so I can't go and test out either horn. Would somebody give some advice on which horn I should get, so I don't go and dole out 1500 bucks and get something that I don't like.

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

I looked at both but had this 'thing' about a rose brass or copper bell and by the time I got prices on a custom Chicago I decided to go for the Signature. The Chicago was a little brighter, which suits some guys, and the Signature had a sound like hot chocolate (metaphor time). If I remember rightly the Chicago had bottom sprung valves as well but in any case I preferred the valves on the Signature.Both are relatively small bore so feel wise I thought they were similar.

As you can see by my signature I think the Chicago line is great but I'm glad I bought the ZKF. Intonation is great which is important to me because I try and use it every chance I can (I think the other guys in the band are getting sick and tired of me suggesting we put Flugel harmony parts in, flugel solos, flugel intros, flugel outros........!!!)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

3. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

I offer my services to any player wanting to "try out" a Kanstul. I have them in stock ready to ship. I offer my "Try Before You Buy" and "Lifetime Warranty" which takes all the risk out of it. You can't go wrong dealing with family. After all, When you're name is on the bell, it's not just another instrument.

To The Music,

Jack Kanstul

4. hazmat

hazmat New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    Central Massachusetts
    Is it possible that the 3-day trial can be extended? I know that if I want to try the horn I would have to get it delivered to my house since we only have P.O. Boxes at school and I wouldn't want them handling it. Chances are that I would want to get it at home on the weekend, take it to school and try it out for a few days and then ship it back via the UPS store near my school. Would it be possible?

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If you are dead set on either the ZKF 1525 or the Chicago, fine, but I think that you should cosider the Custom Class, the CCF 925 as well. The one that I bought beat out two different Chicagos, one in silver and one in Lacquer and I've been told that it plays a lot like the ZKF 1525 Signature.

I chose the custom class since for me, my flugelhorn is only a doubling instrument that I use every once in a while playing with the Rock band and the Big Band. Still, it slots very cleanly, the intonation is pretty good for a flugel, and it has a very smooth, dark, silky sound. But, if you really are only going to choose between the Chicago and the Signature, I'd go for the Signature if I were you.

Just my 2¢

6. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

I do work with each individual player to make sure they are satisfied. So I have extended the time for my Try Before You Buy program. Just give me a call and we can work out the details. 480-753-3468.

To The Service-It's what makes you feel like this :D

Jack Kanstul

7. imjazd1

imjazd1 New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    I have a friend that just bought the Signature flugel w/ copper bell and WHAT A HORN!! The intonation is so good you don't even really have to use the triggers. The rich, dark sound was like satin..absolutely amazing. He got it thru Jack and said that he was wonderful to deal with and was even able to get it to him in the time frame he needed..very quickly.
    After playing this horn I'd definitely recommend that you try the Signature..it will be my next flugel for sure. That said, I don't think you could go wrong ordering either model..I've never played a bad Kanstul!

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver