Which Piccolo Trumpet to buy...?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Annie, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I am looking for a new piccolo trumpet to buy, and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck, but I really don't know much about piccolo trumpets, and what brand will be the best for the money I pay for it. Could anyone give some suggestions? I stopped by Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center today, and I believe the lowest priced one they had was the Yamaha YTR-9830, and I think that was 1200. Is there a good, reputable place other than Chuck's that I might be able to find a decent used one?

2. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    You really should try several out. There's basically two types -- long bell and short bell models. I prefer the long bell as they tend to be larger bore and more open blowing.

I have a friend who bought a Benge and he loves it. The price was very good and it has a nice sound. His is a short-bell model.

I've played the Getzen Eterna several times, but only because that's really all that's been available to me. It's an okay horn but like I said, I prefer the long bell models and the eterna can have its own issues when it comes to intonation and tone (a little too bright and edgy for my tastes).

Good luck! But like I said...try 'em all out before you decide.

However, that's just my 2 pennies. There are others here far more informative than I could be. I'm hoping they weigh in as I'd love to see what people's opinions are on this. (And has ANYONE tried the new Getzen 3916 yet???).

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    As with EVERY instrument purchase, you owe it to yourself to try out as many as possible and choose the one that works for you.
    Makes you should look at/play:
    Yamaha
    Stomvi
    F Besson (if you can find one)
    Kanstul
    Getzen
    Benge
    Scherzer (if you can do rotary valves)
    Schilke
    B&S
    Selmer
    Blackburn (if money is not a problem)

I have played all of these at various times and have been seriously impressed by many of them (and seriously underwhelmed by a couple of the bigger names).

If purchasing new, I would suggest that the B&S is often to be found as the best "bang for the buck," if looking at the second hand market, you will definitely need to play them, but any of the above would be a good buy, if the price is right.

I play an F Besson and I have only played one make that I preferred - the Blackburn - simply astonishing, but that is just my opinion, I imagine we are very different in our playing. I have yet to find a group of trumpeters that agree on any aspect of playing ;-)

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
  5. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Thanks! Are there any stores you know of where I could try all of them out, or should I drive around to different stores? As far as I could tell, Chuck Levin's only had three types of piccolo in stock at any given time!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Stu's Music in Westminster has a variety of piccolo's in stock. Give them a call, ask for Larry, and he'll tell you what exactly. Last week when I was there they had Schilkes (about 4 four valve and 1 three valve long model), Stomvi, Scherzer, and a Yamaha (short with 4th rotor valve used). I've been to Chuck Levin's, but it feels like a warehouse and the guys that work there have too much going on to focus on helping each customer.

I play a P5-4 and like mine. It's a lot darker than most Schilke's I've played, which I like. I also like the Stomvi and especially the Yamaha copies of the P5-4. I've also tried the Courtois but didn't like it much.

For the best value, the 4 valve Getzen with Blackburn leadpipes plays great. Very nice chamber sound. Benge and Selmer are good too with Blackburn pipes. Good luck!

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've got the Yamaha 9820C and love it. Over the years, I have tried pretty much every piccolo available and haven't found one that equals my Yamaha. When I had a P5-4, the sound wasn't nearly as present as it is with the yamaha. Especially as far as using it orchestrally, the yamaha is the way to go.

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    You just brought back some memories -- I bought a horn from Washington Music Center in 1976 -- I'm getting so old :-(

I'd try as many horns as possible and try the Schilke P5-4, Kanstul CCT920, Kanstul ZKT1520 and ZKT1522 last. I still find that they are the piccolos to use as the base for comparison.

Remember that if you find a good horn you are in for the long haul so price should be your last consideration. If price is important, then you need to wait and buy your piccolo at a later time. With a piccolo you never want to say, “I bought this one but the _____ was amazing.†If you find an amazing piccolo you need to buy THAT HORN.

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I've had the Yamaha 9830 for at least 6 years and find it to be the best Picc on the market. I did put Blackburn pipes on it, makes a great difference.

10. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    You found a Yammie 9830 for $1200?!?!?! I say go for it!! I have an old Selmer picc that I absolutely love, I've messed around with my friend's 9830 and like it a lot too, it's just a different sound. Best of luck!!