Which Silencer for trumpet practice at home

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by mevenden, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mevenden

mevenden New Friend

Apr 20, 2008
    london, uk
    Which model /make of silencer for trumpet would people recommend for practicing the trumpet at home and still keep in with the neighbors?

Have seen the yamaha silent brass but didnt like it much thought there might be something better out there.
    cheers
    Mark

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I use a Mannie Klein practice mute made by Humes and Berg occasionally. It works well.

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a Best Brass Warm up mute that is great. I used to use a Silent brass until I found this. I find this mute superior in every way... plus it fits inside the bell for easy storage.
    -T

4. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've been using the Wick practice mute with pretty good success.

5. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    You can not beat the Denis Wick mute

6. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    It may not be quiet enough for your needs (or neighbors), but there are a couple of things I use:

1. Humes & Berg cup mute with Joral Cup mute felts/pads
    2. EZ bucket mute
    3. Tom Crown Practice Mute
    4. Brass Spa practice mute

In addition to the mutes, I might put a towel or crown royal bag over the mute/bell. Or, point my bell in a clothes-filled closet. I generally prefer things that silence the sound AFTER the bell rather than IN the bell.

None are perfect solutions. Sometimes using ear plugs while using these mutes help to keep from overblowing.

Garry

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    The two best methods I've ever found (and yes, I used to own a Silent Brass system) were:

- a practice mute (or harmon mute)

- practice facing into a closet full of clothes (even better if you live in a warm climate and have the windows shut and an air conditioner on

bigtiny

8. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    I just use a Wick cup mute. My teacher advised me to avoid the practice mute except in emergencies

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too, use these methods - I use the Harmon in my pocket trumpet when travelling and in hotel rooms, and at home I stand in front of the wardrobe playing, generally, into the clothes - not too close. I make a point of going out for a reality check occasionally and playing in the local church hall - all on my own - just so I have a concept of everything 'unclothed' (hmmm - could have been better expressed I suspect). I like to run through a few tunes in the bathroom on the odd occasion too - for the sound effects, you understand.

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I assume he said that because the cup mute generally presents less back pressure than a practice mute and has more sound. Cup mutes are fine, but they WILL be louder than a practice or harmon mute...

bigtiny