Which Solo Line gives you the Worst Willies?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Dec 16, 2015.

1. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    Opening solo in Rhapsody in Blue freaks me out a little. The solo is often the very first notes you will play in a concert and if you don't nail it, well, you better nail it. Luckily the clarinet player usually screws something up to relax you before you come in. :D

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    First time I jammed on trumpet - 2007 I think. Have little recall what we played - just terrified. Now I just love every minute of it.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Used to play in a community orchestra. We did the Russian Easter Overture one concert, and it contains a really cool solo for second trombone. Unfortunately, the second trombone player was a recent switch from baritone. To be honest, his solo always sucked, and he found more and more ways to suck at it as rehearsals proceeded. For the concert, he played the solo on baritone, and finally got it right. To this day, my body tenses up just before that trombone solo.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I guess that's the one around 7:45

Not many places to hide there!

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    At a time, I played in the Vienna Russian Wind Orchestra - the only orchestra outside the former USSR to play Russian music, with a band strictly according to Russian customs which is a weird setup involving at least 25 brasses (including rotary valve cornets alongside piston flugelhorns), 35-40 woodwinds, one accordion, five string basses and balalaikas ad lib.
    One day, we had to do an impromptu concert - at 12 hours notice invited into the Russian Embassy to play a reception there.
    As opening, the conductor put up what he said was one of his favourite Russian marches, the "March of the Rocket Grenadiers".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BrBjOnglI
    Unfortunately, the music for 1st cornet had been sorted in wrong, and me and two other guys on first cornet did not have that March, but "Slavianka".
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QZFzK2BFyE
    Same key at the beginning, so we did not stand out too badly - and as we were all of us sight-reading, we did not know anything was wrong. Until the trio... where the keys went apart rather rapidly, and the whole structure collapsed... Conductor cut the whole thing off, just whispered, "next piece", and so we followed - the orchestra with Shostakovich's Festive Overture, we three with the overture to Eugen Onegin... Never has an orchestra disgraced itself so thoroughly... Next piece we three just played silently... and disappeared from stage rather quickly to sort things out. When we found that the correct folders had been left in the rehearsal room, we just skipped, and the orchestra had to continue without 1st cornet. Luckily, the parts are doubled by clarinet and flugel so we were not missed...

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Also Sprach Zarathustra: (C2)Daah Dit Daah, (C3)DAAAAAAAAAAAH

WITHOUT Wiener Klappen.

8. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    That guy's cheating, sounds like a piccolo! ;-)

(J/K, piccolo is never cheating if that's the sound you want.)

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Richard Strauss wrote some very frightening solos for the trumpet.
    Listen a .54 in. This is as bad, if not worse, than the call in Zarathustra. You go up, down, and back up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlB3e6oHSQ
    Needless to say, it is Bud.
    Rich T.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I often wonder why members "like" things like this? Does fear make me seem more "human"? I have never cracked this lick - kind of surprises me too........