Which solo to choose

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by cajuninms, Aug 5, 2005.

1. cajuninms

cajuninms New Friend

Aug 4, 2005
    ok guys..im from mississippi and i am planning on trying out for the MS lions band in january (honor marching band)..and i have a selection of 5 solos to choose from for the audition

http://www2.mde.k12.ms.us/band/All_State_Material/allstatetrumpet.pdf

I only recongnize Carnival of Venice

Could someone explain what is in each solo?..from what iv read i think the first solo piece is like nonstop double tounging..i think

2. John Heckathorn

John Heckathorn New Friend

Jun 9, 2005
    The Concert Etude by Goedicke is a tough solo. I'm a Senior in high school and I'm going to try to play it for the OMEA Solo and Ensemble Contest next February. It is loaded with double-tongueing, but it isn't all double-tongueing. There are quite a few moving passages in the piece that split up the double tongueing parts. I have pretty decent multiple tongueing, but the hardest part is emphasizing dynamics, and having the endurance to play the whole thing. It is a long piece and quite challenging. The tryout page only requires you to play a select few parts of the piece, so I'd give it a try. It is an awesome sounding solo, and makes you a much better player in many respects. I'll expand on the parts required for you to play when I get home from work.

PEace