Which trumpet comes next?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Sep 12, 2006.

1. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    For me it went like this:

Bb (student model in 8th grade, Benge in 10th, Bach Freshman in college, Callet after grad. school)

C (Bach in 12th grade, Callet during grad. school)

Piccolo (laquered Getzen at beginning of M.M.)

Eb/D (when starting D.M.A., for the solo and orch. lit.)

Flugelhorn (when all through with grad. school, for fun - and being tired of borrowing one from a friend every time I needed one)

Need to buy sometime:
    A really good cornet
    Rotary Bb & C
    A full set of Monettes

2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I think the order of horns you buy should be dictated by the direction your playing is taking you at the time. If you were playing in a concert band and jazz orchestra, would it make sense to buy a picc? Of course there is always the question of what you can afford at the time. Just my 2 cents.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I used to - then I got an Eclipse - suddenly I am understanding the love that many people have with flugel (this was the first flugel that I played and enjoyed playing)

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't like them. Recently a friend of mine bought a Kanstul. Although I am not fond of that company, the horn played really well. I was very surprised.

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hmmmm........

The flugelhorn not a real instrument.

I like to hear Chuck Mangione's take on that.

Warren

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Who cares? He's one reason I don't like it.

Michael McLaughlin

One is sorry one could not have taken both branches of the road. But we were not allotted multiple selves.
    Gore Vidal

7. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Michael,

I can understand your point about Chuck. I really don't care for his sound but his solo ideas are more important. I have heard so many people over the years try to play flugel like it is a trumpet.......it doesn't work. Try listening to Arturo's Danzon CD. His flugel sound is lke butter. FWIW.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dislike is maybe the wrong word for me. Most flugelhorns just don't sound centered enough for me, regardless of mouthpiece. There are some notable exceptions, however! Maybe the forum members that play them for a living could offer some advice!
    The flugelhorn is a very real instrument. Here in Germany and in Austria, it is very deeply rooted in band music as the cornet is/was in England/US and Scandinavia. It is still used in modern military and wind bands here. Rotary flugelhorns are played and the parts are often as technically demanding as clarinet parts are in american wind band music.
    In a big band, they offer a velvet sound, even from the most brash lead player.
    In the true sense, we have all become horn players. Modern trumpets are primarily conical bore compared to the natural, F and modern rotary trumpets that are still primarily cylindrical.

9. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I enjoy asking questions here 1. because I enjoy meeting and talking with others and 2. because you can get many opinions versus just one from the teacher (although, he is the one helping me advance). I like opinions.

Trax

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Good answer