Which trumpet is the better buy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by user999, May 14, 2009.

1. user999

user999 New Friend

May 8, 2009
    Assuming the price is the same for each, which is the best intermediate trumpet:

Bach TR200S
    King 2055T
    Getzen Eterna II 700S

I am buying this as a gift for my son who starts college this fall.

Also, are cotton gloves required when handling/playing silver plated instruments.

Your comments are appreciated.

2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Between the 3, I'd go for the Getzen Eterna II 700S. I've only heard/read wonderful praise for this horn; that it very much rivals pro horns; is a great value because it is built to last; and, it has Getzen's world famous valves which I believe are guaranteed for life. Some liken it to Getzen's original, famous Doc Severinsen model, but Brett Getzen told me that their 900 Classic is THAT real deal. But, based on a lot of folks' comments, the 700 plays that well.

If I were buying my son this level of horn, I'd also consider a Kanstul KTR-700 -- I own a Kanstul KTR-700S, which is their silver plated version. Both it, the lacquer version, and the Getzen 700 are outstanding horns. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I don't know about the cotton gloves. I never used them when I was in marching, concert, and jazz bands. But, I always wipe(d) down my horns after each practice session and performance with a soft, slightly dampened cotton cloth. Although, there are some other material wipes out there much more effective in removing oils, spit, and grime off of silver plated horns. I hope others who know about these chime in.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. user999

user999 New Friend

May 8, 2009
    bump

4. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I'm use cotton gloves when I handle my silver plated horns. It's not required but it helps keep them clean and helps the horn not tarnish. Your sweat and finger oils are not beneficial to the horn, but it takes a while for the damage to show. If you don't like to wear gloves just get a dry soft polish rag. Lightly rub the horn in circlelur motions to remove the sweat and oils.
    I'm a huge supporter of all king horns. But if you son is going to college to be in a college band he most likely is going to be playing in a competitive setting. I'd recommend the bach. But on the other hand it's important that he know and plays the horn before money is spent. The horn must fit with his personality and it most feel like a well fitted shoe.
    The getzen is also a fine choice.

But I'm a King person ;)

Enjoy

5. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If your son is planning on playing in college and especially if he is going into a music program, forget an intermediate model and get a professional model trumpet. Intermediate model trumpets are no more than slightly upgraded beginner trumpets with a few whistles and bells.

If at all possible take him to a major music store and have him try out several different models and types. A trumpet played by one person will most likely play differently for someone else. Also, have him try a reverse lead pipe if possible.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Rushtucky gives good advice, especially in his second paragraph, but I wouldn't worry too much about reverse as opposed to conventional leadpipes. You can buy a used pro horn for near what you'd pay for any of the other ones new. Of those 3, the Getzen is the best choice, IMO.

If you reveal your location we might be able to direct you to a store with horns in stock.

Gloves are hot. He can get a valve guard to protect a horn from the left hand's corrosive affect. Or do as Louis Armstrong did and use a hanky. Good also for theatrical effects.

veery

7. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I agree with getting a nice used pro-level horn. Nothing wrong with the horns you listed, but for a college program a pro-level horn is best (At least that was the case when I played in college in the 70's). I never liked valve cluster guards, but a hanky works nicely.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Generally it is smart to get the professors input before spending any money. If they are brand blind, anything but a pro Bach or Yamaha could mean a disadvantage in ensemble placement - and YES there are these types of idiots in academia.

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ouch! Hopefully I am not one of the idiots in academia that you are referring to.

As rowuk stated, the majority of college students use Bach or Yamaha trumpets. I would tend to say that you see more Bach Strads than other brands.

10. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I hope to make the Trumpet Search site useful for sorting and searching for trumpets by brand, year, type, etc.. I will soon have a section for horns by price, but haven't found a way to set the eBay criteria yet:

Hope it is somewhat helpful to those of us who enjoy shopping around for trumpets:

Yamaha Trumpets

of course eBay isn't the only place to look for trumpets, but let's face it: It has the largest selection. :)