Which trumpet is the better buy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by user999, May 14, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Rush, only if you limit your students. I am only referring to academia that do not accept anything else as being worthy and pressure the students into submission.............

I have no heartburn with players that make the Bach choice for themselves. I used to play a 72* ML Bb and still have a 229H L C. Fine horns. I wanted more colors in my collection and that led to additional manufacturers like Selmer, Monette, and a bunch of more "obscure stuff". I do not believe the lies about blending. There is greater differences between players - and that is what causes blending issues.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    If your son plans to be a music/trumpet major then Rowuk has the right idea. Find out what his future trumpet prof prefers and go with that. Of the choices that you mentioned, the Getzen is very good. You can find them used in excellent to mint condition for +- $500 on EBAY. I recommend to my private students.

As others have said, you can get a good used pro Bach or Yamaha for the price of a new 700 Eterna.

3. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    I'm sure that Brett Getzen and Zig Kanstul would take issue with you there, Ruchtucky. A 2-piece bell is typically the only "whistles and bells" feature that distinguishes their "intermediate" from their "pro" line of horns.

Recently at TH, a lot of players who bought the Besson 800 International (built by Kanstul) from musiciansfriend at a blow-out price of $439 say that it rivals or even outplays a Bach 37 and other comparable pro level horns. Some feel the same way about Yamaha's intermediate 4335G trumpet as well.

Personally, I don't think we can use a wide brush stroke to paint all "intermediate" horns as being of the same caliber of quality, craftsmanship, and playability. Clearly Getzen and Kanstul are exceptions, at least to many players.

4. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Right, but Robin's point is well taken. When a student walks into a college music program they are not always walking into an objective environment. While there are some very fine "intermediate" horns, not even all pro-level horns are welcomed in academia. I got some sideways glances over my Benge when I was in college. Bach was definitely favored. I have no problem with folks blazing their own trail to suit their own needs, but if the question is what instrument to buy now to take into a music program shortly, it might bear giving some consideration to what the expecations are in that program.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    If the intermediate trumpet is as good as the pro, why have a pro line?
    There is more to a pro horn than a 2 pc. bell, and nothing intermediate about a 2 pc. bell.

6. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm not going to say "buy this exact horn", or anything too specific. What I would advise however is you set a price range, do some research, and have your son pick the horn. Find a big music store in your area (one that has lots of horns in stock), put all the available (in price range) that are in stock in one room. Have your son (with his own mouthpiece) go in and see what plays best for him.

Its great that you are getting him a new horn, so instead of listening to our personal biases (I prefer Yamaha), DON'T!! Have your son pick the horn that is best for HIM

7. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Right, there are some pro horns with 2 piece bells, but some companies have to draw a distinction between their horns for marketing, and this is just one to separate different degrees of "quality." Otherwise, some brands, such as Getzen and Kanstul, could consist of only 1 pro line of horns, but with different features. But, is everybody (including young children's parents) going to drop over $2G on Johnny's first trumpet? Not hardly. But, for under $1G, they can have a 700S that can still blow the socks off of a lot of other horns out there. Same goes for the Kanstul 700, and Yamaha 4335G.

Have you been reading about the blow-out sale on Besson 800 Internationals made by Kanstul at MusiciansFriend.com? MSRP was something like $1,700, sale price was about $700, blow out price is/was $439. A lot of TH folks who bought these "intermediate" horns feel that they are on par with or even blow the socks off of their "pro" level horns, including Bachs. So, what's "intermediate" about these horns?

Not that many years ago, the Getzen Doc Severinsen was the hottest pro horn out there. Many still laud and play it for lead because it is a great, bright sounding horn with great intonation and response. This model is now Getzen's 900 Classic, or an "intermediate" horn in their line. Is this really just an "intermediate" horn, or as one poster argues "nothing more than a student horn with bells and whistles" (paraphrased)? Not even. But, Getzen has continued to find ways to improve upon an already great horn (check into their Proteus, the Mike Vax, or Genesis models!), but the Severinsen remains a great, pro level horn. So, why call it an "intermediate" horn? I explained this above, and go to TrumpetHerald.com and read any number of posts about this. Brett himself chimes in on the thread.

I do appreciate that some universities have their preferences, and, yes, I wholeheartedly agree with some posters here -- it would be very wise to check in with their university's trumpet professors to find out which ones these are before buying any horn.

I suppose my point is, that some particularly great horn companies keep finding ways to improve their products. And, in this evolutionary process, their best pro horns will eventually become their intermediate horns. But, this is a great thing because people who can't afford to blow $2G+ on a pro horn have these wonderful intermediate horns to purchase, that are these companies' former "pro" models.

8. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    The Besson 800 is as close to a Kanstul 900 as you can get , the only difference being is the reverse lead pipe.(reverse mouthpipe)
    After talking with Jack Kanstul , in his words "a very fine trumpet at a very low price that we built".
    How can you go wrong ? well my understanding is each horn must fit the player .
    For my 12 year old it does not matter as much , for a college student it will i believe , so let him play and try as many as possible , he will be the master behind the horn . Not his instructor or peer pressure .

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  9. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    If it were up to me, I'd take the Getzen Eterna.