Which trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bennyB, Oct 2, 2009.

1. bennyB

bennyB New Friend

Oct 2, 2009
    Hello, I have decided to learn the trumpet this winter but I have encountered a problem already.
    When I went to purchase my trumpet I have discovered that there are many different types of trumpet eg Bb, C, rotary valve Bb, rotary valve C etc. I aspire to play some Ska music and want to have the right trumpet for the job.
    Any direction in this matter will be received with gratitude.:-?

BennyB.

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Welcome to TM, BennyB!

The normal thing is to start with a Bb. The Bb is
    frequently used in school bands, bigbands etc.
    If you wonder what brand to buy, others will have
    better knowledge and experience than I do . . .

Also introduce yourself in the Greetings forum!!:-)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  3. bennyB

bennyB New Friend

Oct 2, 2009
    Thanks Sofus.

You'll get a thank you on my first album..:D

4. bennyB

bennyB New Friend

Oct 2, 2009
    Can I ask another question? (oh I just did lol)

Is there different types of trumpet better suited to different types of music. As I desire to play Ska is there a brand or key of trumpet I should be looking for or is there any other factor I should thak into consireration.

I don't mean to be a pain but I don't want to be able to blame the instrument for my lack of talent in my early stages of learning the trumpet.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You should be looking for a piston valve Bb trumpet. You would be fine with a good quality used student model to start. Put your money into some trumpet lessons. Getting started playing correctly, physically will save you all kinds of grief later on. A teacher could also help you pick a trumpet and mouthpiece.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Benny,
    once you start playing, you will learn that it is the marksman and not the gun. If your heart is really into performance, you can please your audience blowing into a garden hose. Just pick up a decent piston Bb student instrument and start practicing. Forget the cheap crap (<$200) out of India and China.

Believe me, you will have so many issues with yourself, you won't have time to blame the hardware!

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Ska - the kind of horn doesn't matter, its definitely the player, pick yourself up a decent student horn (definitely piston) and start practicing!

Eventually you'll figure out what you want, but at the moment get a basic student horn and start practicing (and listening to good players)