Which Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Dec 12, 2011.

1. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Amateur player here shopping for a new trumpet. I want one with a more metallic timbre, not warm and dark. Any suggestions as to make and model? A Getzen rep suggested a model (3052) that can be ordered with a lightweight yellow brass bell. A Kanstul rep recommended their "Chicago" models (which he described as Benge copies) as its brightest timbred. (Would rather not go to the Kanstul price point). Any recommendations welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Then it sounds like you made your choice. The Getzen Eterna is a fine beginning horn with about the crispist valve action you could find. As they say, the horn finds you. You sir, have been found!

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You know, the other thread that you started is just fine. It didnt disappear, its just that there has been no new posts since you last checked it. You really should find a Bach 43 and tell us how you like it. What state do you live in, then we can tell you some places that have a supply of trumpets that you can go try out.

4. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I am looking for a horn with the timbre I describe in my initial post. I would appreciate any recommendations you might have. I liked the Eterna because it was easy to play, not necessarily due to its timbre. Did not realize the Eterna is regarded as a "beginning" horn.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check my signature line. I am a professional trumpeter. I love my Eterna (Flugelhorn). I still play my Ambassador (a beginner Olds trumpet). Here is my next piece of advice. Take your Eterna to a music store that will let you go through several brands of mouthpieces. You will find one that will make your Eterna sing with the timbre that will make you melt. I am certain of it. Remember your horn found you. Now give it the sound you really are looking for. You will find it.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Or so he says.....He is just a normal guy that has some really cool horns, and claims to be some sort of "Doctor" that cant spell for anything.

Kidding, he is a really good player. Just voted the best band in his land! He is a Doctor too, but his spelling isn't that good.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    His spelling suks!

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Gmonady, check my thread on beginner vs higher level horns -- I'd like some input by you!
    +1 to your post.