Which Valve Oil & Why

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rushtucky, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We all have our favorite valve oil. During one of my sessions we got into a wild discussion regarding valve oil and which one is the best and WHY.

Many of us are now using synthetic valve oil such as Ultra Pure, which I have come to love. Many still use the petroleum based oils like Al Cass.
    Of course on older instruments it is best to use a heavier oil such as Holton's Rotary Valve Oil.

I would like your opinions..constructively..on which valve oil you think is the best and WHY.

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've used Blue juice on all my horns for over 25 years. I've tried others but always go back. I prefer a light fast oil. I agree that horns with worn valves require a thicker valve oil like Hetman's #3.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I have switched in the last couple of years to Ultra Pure and think it is the best I have used. I, however, do not use it on my rotary trumpets. Why do I like it is simple it works for me.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Ultra pure just feels good :)
    I'm not sure if it is quite as fast as al cass for example, but the valves feel like butter with it.
    *shrug* voodoo?

5. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Read post down lower, sorry.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I used first Al Cass, then La Tromba and recently switched to UltraPure. The last feels the best and last longer than the other two, but La Tromba is quite close to. Tried the Blue Jiuce and didn't like it. Never tried Hetman's.

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I prefer the non-toxic valve oils just for health reasons, but unless you have old valves or something and you need to get a different consistency, all valve oils pretty much do the same thing. Just pick one. I'll work almost the same as all the others. There may be some small differences, like it may last a little longer, or smell a little different, but I don't understand why people think they notice such a difference between valve oils. I could use anything, and still get by.

8. Blind Bruce

Blind Bruce Pianissimo User

Apr 17, 2009
    Winnipeg Canada
    In a pinch, we just spit on the valves. Only missed a few bars!

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Better spit on the conductor :twisted: You will miss no bars and will feel some unexpected pleasures ROFL

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    whatever oil is in my case is just fine. I only buy synthetic though. It lasts longer!

Fantasizing over valve oil is exactly what the manufacturers want. To be honest, if one oils correctly and often enough it doesn't matter. All decent oils are then faster than our fingers. The rest makes us marketing meat...................