Which Valve Oil & Why

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rushtucky, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I want to thank you all for your comments. As you can imagine, this was quite a discussion in my group, especially with those majoring in Chemistry. I have one student that is actually doing an analysis on all of the valve oils.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I usually forget mine so i borrow from other people. Most work the same...

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I can't agree. Those valve oils that are strictly petrochemical solvents evaporate almost immediately. 'Most' of the synthetics last much longer because of a slower or non existant evaporation factor. My personal preference in valve oils is for the Hetmans piston valve lineup. For new, or perfect condition valves the #1 ia spectacular. For vintage instruments that have had a great amount of use along with poor valve maintainance, the #3 seals up the leakage while allowing the valves to move freely. The #2 is somewhere in between. Frequent cleaning and proper oiling keeps all the valves in my 'accumilation' working at their top performance ability.

OLDLOU>>

4. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I use Binak Pro. It is THE best I have ever used. I use one drop on each valve and it lasts for minimum a month!

Trax

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think that is possible....unless you don't play the horn :twisted:

6. azhiba

azhiba New Friend

Aug 25, 2009
    T2 rules (-:

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I used T2 before switching to UltraPure....

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    With the widely varied opinions and alegiances to the many various brands of valve oil, the valve oil industry will stay viable, but, not very highly profitable for any one of the formulators for a great long future. My impression is that this revenue will be spread widely.

OLDLOU>>

9. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Blue juice, never tried ultra pure. Question, is Blue Juice a synthetic oil?

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

An oil i used for a while was specially formulated to not interact with water or evaporate. It lasted for a lonnnnnnggg time. This oil might be one of those...