Whistling valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by epevets, Jun 5, 2012.

1. epevets

epevets New Friend

May 13, 2012
    I have a couple of old Olds Ambassadors. The first valve on one of them start to "whistle" when depressed. the valves in this trumpet were older, worn and had rust stains on them. I changed the valve with another horn -- good condition, plating good -- the whistling stopped. It worked BTW). when i put the older valve in the other trumpet, it whistled. obviously the problem is the valve. what else could cause it? does this mean the whistling valve is no good? Hardly worth replating.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Revove the first valve slide, plug with your thumb the upper leg of the female slide and with the first valve depressed, blow into the receiver. If you hear a strong leak, the valve is 'probably' worn to the point of severe leakage. Clean the valve and it's cylinder and then, lube that one valve with a high viscosity valve oil, such as Hetmans #3. If this cures the problem, you will have to carry two dissimilar weight valve oils for that horn, or buy a replacement valve, if you don't wish to have that valve rebuilt.

OLDLOU>>

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Check the vent hole in the bottom of the valve to see if it's obstructed. Blow through it to see if the inside of the valve case vents properly through the top. Usually, a valve whistles when the air moving through the inside of the piston is somewhat obstructed. I had one that was a bad whistler (an old Conn), and cleaning the internal vent passage didn't help. I ended up slightly enlarging the vent hole and the whistling stopped.

4. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Whistling valves can sometimes be cured by removing sharp edge from bottom cap. Use a triangular scraper and remove some metal on both sides of vent. Or try another cap.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Or swap caps and see if whistle moves with the cap.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm assuming it isn't the cap, since the OP switched valves and the whistle went away. The bottom caps do sometimes whistle, but usually the hole in them is large enough to prevent it. Easy to test - just take the bottom screw-on cap off and see if the whistle goes away.

What I'm talking about is the small hole in the very bottom of the valve itself. Air moves vertically through the valve as it moves up and down. When the hole is too small, partially plugged, or there is gunk inside the valve itself that prevents the free passage of air through it, it will whistle.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I have the 1st and 2nd valves from an LA olds Ambassador that I have parted out on eBay ( and on TM ). PM me if you want them cheap.