Whistling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK now it's whistling again.....

OK so I put in the *last* whistling thread that I do a sort of quiet, inside the mouth whistling, that's good enough for me, since it's accurate, wide range, and is great for playing stuff to myself. All well and fine.

However, I have heard *some* say that the conventional pucker-up type of whistling is good for trumpet playing, so I've been messing with that, starting last night (after practice). I'm surprised, I'm able to get some very pure tones, kinda hit or miss, and very widely spaced too. But one thing I notice is it sure involves bringing the corners of the mouth in!

I'm going to keep it up, because it's kinda cool. If I can get my "external" whistle as well trained as my "internal" one, I'll be a kick ass whistler if nothing else.

Anyone have any opinions on whistling (mouth alone, no fingers, conventional type) and trumpet playing?

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Because whistling uses many of the same muscles as the trumpet embouchure,
    and the muscle burn after a few minutes of whistling is the same burn that body-builders say is a sign of significant work-out in the developing of muscles,
    whistling *can* be a help in trumpet playing.
    Whistling is not a necessity,
    and if it is done it should be done at times so that it will not fatigue the embouchure too much too close to trumpet playing times.
    But for those who choose it, it can help in developing quite a "donut" embouchure like Maynard had in old photos.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've always been a whistler, albeit a little flat, but as a comeback trumpeter I have found that my whistling has improved - much more accurate and therefore much more enjoyable. Not quite what you wanted though, is it? Whistling is probably a dying skill as young people rely on their portable devices to provide the same readilly available music. You just don't hear people whistling any more. Maybe the pace of the world has a little to do with it too. So ...
    relax, whistle, play good trumpet, and be happy. (I think that my whistling has improved my embouchure although I do have some leakage around the sides of mouth when I'm not concentrating well).

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have heard this before, tried it and found no advantages.
    Even although we may be using the same muscles, the motion is different and will not help muscle memory vital to playing at all.
    There is no substitute for practicing WITH a trumpet, but a second set of lips can speed the warmdown process considerably..........:whistle:

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I whistle cause I like to :)

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    If you like to whistle, do it! It probably won't hurt your trumpet playing. If it happens to help, so much the better!

Personally, my whistling "embouchure" is about 2000% more puckered than my trumpet embouchure and the corners and chin do pretty much exactly the opposite of trumpet playing, so I must have a lousey whistling set up!

7. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    I love whistling...although most around can't stand it. I can't see any correlation between my whistling and my playing. But, everyone's different so if your whistling and trumpet embouchure are very similar, I don't see how it could hurt.

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Whistling has the same advantage as singing, it's an ear-based system that really helps your pitch. I started whistling when I was three years old, it helps with pitch recognition, ear training and so on. Go for it. It has no adverse effects on your trumpet chops, that's a bunch of baloney.

Michael McLaughlin

Art is dangerous. It is one of the attractions: when it ceases to be dangerous you don't want it.
    Duke Ellington

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

My comment on melodic whistling is that I dearly wish that I was capable of it. Several years ago, in S.E.Asia, I had an enemy troup use the buttstock of his rifle as a club on my left cheek, breaking off most of the teeth in that side of my mouth. I have had seven different prosthetic tooth assemblies made for me. None of them allow me to play the trumpet with any technical precision or, allow me to whistle at all. In one of the community concert bands that I am a member of, we are rehearsing Goldmans 'On The Mall' march, which is written with a segment of the trio where the band members all are suposed to whistle. I just fake it, to the consternation of our principal trumpeter.

OLDLOU>>

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Old Lou,

I really feel for you not being able to whistle - my concert band pieces are tested through my whistling, I use the whistle to play with, and establish, tempo and accents in the piece. At this stage I am effectively a sight reader and all the pieces rely on my being able to hear them first (whistling) or play them with the band hoping that I can keep up with the kids. Is there any chance that your jaw structure will allow you to whistle across the roof of your mouth with your tongue, or even with a couple of fingers between the lips? Hell, what would I do without the whistling - even the plumbing in the shower at home whistles.

Ted :whistle: