Whistling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Rest assured that I have tried everything that has ever been suggested to me to be able to whistle. If I were younger I would seiously consider dental implants to replace my lost teeth. The comical thing is that I can drive most conductors 'nutz' by chewing gum while in rehearsal. I have a storage space for my 'cud' that most don't have, a fine hiding spot for my 'cud'.

OLDLOU>>

2. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    This image instantly came to mind, no offense OLDLOU !

Attached Files:

3. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    Me too, I am a born whistler... i.e. in my case it's an inherited ability & joy. In the past, when I was still young and beautiful (sadly, now only the latter), I performed daily until 13 hours of whistling in public as a busker. It sort of became my work, albeit I only made some 30-40 dollars a day. Yet, many times I got some great jobs/ income at performing at marriages, parties, commercials, on TV shows and business functions. Also, during my performances some young people came to question me on how I got into this job? My philosophical advice impressed them and they usually bought a set of my three books, titled: "A Guide To Personal Contentment".
    Now, I relive my past experiences and almost every piece of my repertoire I whistled to reminds me of something that happened while I was performing it. So, now... even in my early seventies I still enjoy whistling; even for myself. It's something I have and enjoy to do daily for about 20 Min. in order to feel emotionally self-confident, balanced and contented.
    The thing is, now that I only whistle a short time daily, I lost a lot of the past mouth/lip muscle force. After whistling about 5 Min. I feel that mouth/lip muscles gradually lose force and control. If it then happens that I suddenly get invited to perform a lengthy session of whistling, the only way I can keep going is when I allow my muscle to relax for about 10 Min. Even then I won't be as fit as the first 5 Min. on this day. I know there are ways of regaining my top routine, but since it's a physio matter, one need to really know how to go about. Today, I googled for some advice on that and found some on this site: Wet Your Whistle While You Work (Out) | Muscle & Performance Magazine I'm not too sure if this site has the right Info for my case, but since all muscles work the same, it should apply. I found this section interesting: "Goal: Lean Muscle Growth and/or Strength". It might be only aimed at promoting the sale of these products...one never knows? Chances are you have a far better Info on how to deal with muscle training? I just discovered: "buccinator muscles" are the muscles we need to keep in going...
    For instance, I would like to know what I have to do to keep my whistling muscles in top form and what I have to avoid or might be detrimental. In the initial phase of my whistling career I felt intense pain in my lip muscles and a sports physio therapist advised me to stop completely to allow healing, but then I wonder how to go from there on?
    In the meantime I bought some BCAA and glutamine powder and see how I go with that; using it carefully, at the small amounts indicated.
    Here are some of my recordings for you to enjoy:
    Hear Us « International Society of Musicians for Artwhistling
    https://www.mediafire.com/?t0mocnkevh9bz1c
    https://app.box.com/s/6f72eb90c2002db2e9fc
    https://app.box.com/s/bluoxacemqlslhtq9bv9
    https://app.box.com/s/sbfb81jzjspnalv2ipad
    https://app.box.com/s/y8s8jdqbxibdbo813x22ftborzdnqmy7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPEW8KdBxds

Warm Regards, from Joh ...down-under in wintry St'go de Chile (jdrinda.tripod.com)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm now 79 yo going on 80 and now diagnosed with COPD. I can't remember when exactly I started to whistle, but I've been doing it a long long time. When I was a newsboy I'd whistle as I walked or rode my bicycle along my route and some customers could hear me coming ... in those days homes had their windows open when weather permitted as air conditioning wasn't at all common in homes at that time. Still, now, what little I can still walk I whistle as I do. Too, when I'm lucky enough to be in a store that sells sheet music or when or however I receive it, I'll whistle it before I attempt to play it on one of my brass instruments. Also I can whistle both on exhale and now and again a note or two on the inhale. No, I don't believe it directly aids brass playing, but I also believe it doesn't do any harm, but what I do believe it is beneficial to ear training ... and my wife hates it. Well, too she hates all the repetitive practicing I do, but enjoys the final product of my playing ... well I'm not that enthused about all the repetitive practice either. Oh yes, I can stiil do the two finger shrill taxi call, but it's more effective to use my Acme Thunderer police whistle.

5. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    Greetings... so, you are 5 years ahead of me! :) Good on you! My wife hates it, too... but I sold 1000th of audio-cassettes and CD ...and she like the result of it, at least. My father played the violin and was able to whistle any melody from music notation, too. A great violinist told me: "No matter what medium you use to perform music, for your emotionally, creative input (your soul) determines the level/ quality of talent." I suppose we can only add some 5% or so, to what we inherited from our musical ancestors. Now, in old age we at least find the time to work it all out... Yet, a COPD is likely to spoil it all. That's why I got myself a Tyros3 (which has a great trombone sound, too) in case something takes away my whistling joy. I bought this "Trombone Premium Voice": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cxyVd_xE24

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And so a seven-year-old zombie thread gets a new lease of life... but that's what's so good about TM: You can always find what you want, and even though he passed away, OldLou's wisdom is still here for us. RIP, OldLou.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I find it very difficult to acknowledge that I have been posting here for so long, I vividly remember the posts early in this conversation - look out Ed, I too am aging faster every year. :whistle:

8. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    In those days, when I performed my whistling regularly in public, I was able to whistle up to 13 hours non-stop, yet now, that I don't whistle anymore regularly, I noticed that I can only perfectly whistle one musical piece or up to about 6 Min. and then my lip & cheek muscles gradually become weak and painful. - It would be helpful to know how to train my muscles for a longer performance?
    It's of course a Physio and also age-related matter. In my case it seems to be more the former, what is needed. I bought some BCAA 2-1-1 amino acid powder, but need some step-by step Physio instructions. - There's a lot of Info for weight lifters on the internet, but not much for whistlers and trumpeters. That's why I was hoping to find some good advice on this subject in this forum... but seem not to have much luck?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You don't have much luck because you want a "cheat". They really do not exist. Only a solid daily routine for maintenance and practice session on top of that to get better builds the muscle memory and endurance. Without the muscle memory and condition, we simply fight our body through inefficiency. Chemicals cannot increase efficiency. We are not building a 6 pack in the face, rather developing fine motor control. There is no substitute for advanced low impact exercises.

Building trumpet chops is accomplished by long tones and lipslurs, then intervals and lots of "tunes".

10. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    I know what you mean... but there must be a way of increasing the muscle duration span to at least 2 or 3 musical pieces. As you indicated it might be only achievable with a bit more daily practice. It makes sense. Today, for instance, I whistled every hour one piece and it was O.K.
    So, putting aside all rhetoric, the practical advice would be: if I increase my daily practice to say, one song each half hour, I'll be able to train my muscles.
    Very important is to stop at the point, where the muscle start to play up... and in this way I'll be able to gain more muscle power without harming myself.
    Am right on that?