Whistling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just as an update, I still whistle about every opportunity I have that I'm not playing a brass instrument, eating, sleeping or listening to the music and sermonizing in church OR just listening to music from other sources. The transition to dentures hasn't stopped my whistling either.

2. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe I would have been a good trumpeter, because I inherited good hearing and lungs? Well then again, there are many more things I haven't yet tried in life...
    That's life! :-)

3. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I see this is an old thread - but it just came up as new-

I have whistled forever -- When i dont have my horn - i will whistle tunes -- i realize that singing is virtually mandatory in music school today - i would rather whistle - i can hit the pitch- i can improvise easier than on the keyboard or the trumpet - it is great for listening and hearing. Previous comments about training of the embouchure et al -- not interested - that is not the point -- it is fun -- i can whistle any tune from my head (if i can figure it out from memory) and improvise on it. Great fun and great ear training. BTW it may be genetic - my father (95) whistles at any time or all the time.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There was no rhetoric.......

fact is that whistling like trumpet playing is fine motor activity and we cannot use standard muscle building techniques for things like that. Just like a surgeon needs thousands of repetitions to get the proper muscle activity, trumpeters that try and build a six pack in their face fail dismally. The reason is simple: face tension has to be slightly lower than the power of our "exhale". The muscles simply shape the airflow for the proper result. We cannot simply blow harder if the muscles are tense - the result is not the same.

I have not studied the art of whistling. Through simple observation however, I see that there is a holistic relation between our oral cavity size, tongue position, face muscle tension and blow. If one or more of those factors is not synchronized, we have far more "work" and that leads to muscle failure. Extended practice is the only solution. Maybe intervals, scales and lots of easy tunes could reduce the coordination building time. I do not know. Muscle power is the WRONG goal in any case. Efficient use of all applicable factors is better.

5. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    Thanks for that. :) It's quite science and that's why I addressed this subject at the "International Artwhistling Philharmonic Society (APS)".
    ( Hear Us « International Society of Musicians for Artwhistling), where they showcase my name next to the Chilean flag.
    Maybe they will be able to come up with some more scientific research into this subject.
    In the meantime I set up a P.A. system in my garage, where I can anytime give it a blow or two. I already noticed some improvement in endurance.

6. jjj333

jjj333 New Friend

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm excited, for today I made a rather interesting rediscovery:
    When I whistle gently/ comfortably, I mean without straining myself, then I can whistle for more than half an hour without reaching the point at which my lip, mouth & cheek muscles start to hurt or getting overworked, due to lack of regular exercise. Whistling in this way also enable me to enjoy a far greater dynamic range. Thus, it's only when I try to whistle strongly/ loudly that I get the described muscle problems.
    Actually, I should have known that from decades of whistling in public, but somehow (gotten old...?) I totally forgot about it. At that time this very style also enabled me to whistle up to 13 hours non-stop... until people accused me of drug abuse. :) Thus, from now on I should never forget it and allow the amplification to do the "straining" bit...
    This is very important in prolonged, often difficult orchestra music, such as overtures from F. von Suppe or very demanding pieces, such as Czardas de Monti, where my whistling needs to be potent until the last note. - I also must not forget to deep breath before stepping onto the stage on TV shows etc. to overcome the first 5 minutes of stage fright/ distraction. - After that I couldn't care less how many cameras or canons aim and shoot at me... :)
    In 1990 I performed twice on the "Joe Franklin Show" in NJ/USA I still have the videos of it. There I did a good job and I even got greedy Joe to write me a check to cover my hotel expenses. People told me that never ever happened before and won't happen again! - So, now I daily relive the memories of my past musical career and enjoy it. When I now whistle my repertoire, I remember the things that happened at that particular piece, such as where I performed it and the people I met. Albeit four groups of rock musicians of NY offered me to join them and an Italian percussionist and pianist planed to form a group... something always happened, which prevented me from realizing it. - Maybe it shouldn't be? Since nothing in life is coincidental, I believe there was a reason for it ...as not to happen. So really, I don't think I was missing something, because I'm even now (at young 74) still am able to perform my little legacy in a somewhat modest way. I think you wonderful musicians had similar experiences and so, know what I'm on about... :)
    Apropos trumpet: In Sydney (.au) I met a trumpet player, who just returned from a tour to Japan with his group and bought a restaurant, in which I performed. He told me: "If I would have known you before (buying this restaurant) I would gone back to Japan with you!" - Sadly, performing in his restaurant was no much good, for it stopped his guest consuming their food. They just starred at me with open mouths and after performing some 5-6 pieces they suddenly all got up... and I was fearing they plotted to walk out on me, but luckily it wasn't that... :)