Who can afford to miss practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzcadenza, Aug 16, 2008.

1. jazzcadenza

jazzcadenza New Friend

Apr 24, 2008
    JazzBurgh!Pittsburgh PA!
    :play: I hope this has been posted to the right forum or thread.....
    I've just recently started to recover from yet another fight with the dreaded, and seemingly unavoidable, intermittent lip "discomfort". In other words, the pimple on your lip that is too close to or right inside the embouchoure ring that makes playing painful on the chops! I've not been able to play for two days, and feel certain that when I get back to it, probably later today or tomorrow, that I'll have lost strength, endurance, etc., and will have to work doubletime to catch up again. Yikes! :shhh:
    It seems that, no matter what precautions I take in trying to keep the mouthpiece free of bacteria (rinsing and washing, including using the mini-cleaner, and occasional spraying with mighty mist, or an quivalent alcohol based mouthpiece spray disinfectant), that I get some pimple every three to four weeks. :shock: IS THERE ANY WAY THIS BE AVOIDED? What do you professionals do when you have a lip impediment on a day of performance!? :huh:I once read that prolonged playing on chops with a difficulty like a pimple can lead to permanent damage to the inner linings of the lips and gums where oils are produced in between the tiny layers muscle tissue. Is this true?

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Sorry about your problem! Some months ago there was a poster that often got some reaction to his chops, like an allergy irritation, every time hie played on his metal mp's. There was a lot of discussion about the problem and I suggested he get a rubber ring for the mp, available at WWBW and others, that is designed to keep the metal from contacting the lips, intended for cold weather use. Another try is to get a plaseic MP like a Kelly. Anyway, this fellow got both and the irritation was not present while using either one. I think he intended to get a gold plated mp later, but didn't hear about that on the forum.. You might be able to find the thread with a search. I don't know if this will help the pimple situation or not. My wife plays flute and gets canker sores in her mouth from time to time Looks like you are taking a lot of precautions to keep your MP clean, so maybe it is some other factor. Good Luck!

3. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    MF Fan made some very good suggestions. As far as missing a few days here or there, I don't ususlly find it to be a problem. Sometimes I find taking a few days away from the horn gives an improvement in comfort when I come back to it, range and endurance seem unaffected by a short hiatus.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Is the silver plating worn thin? If it is get it replated or replace it. If the sliver is good you could be allergic to sliver and try gold plating instead,or a plastic screw rim. I think Bach makes them.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I never had any of these problems but here are my 2 cents. if Kelly is no good for any reason try:

1. Bentefra trumpet mouthpiece CMI Shop

2. I believe also that there was a company makiing trumpet moutpiece from hardened leather, but cannot find it at the moment.

3. Few years ago, denis wick was making brass mouthpieces with a plastic cover. I don't know if they still do it.

4. LOUD Mouthpieces - Trumpet Mouthpieces Try steel mouthpieces instead of brass. depending on what exactly your alergy is it may help.

5. To clean the your mouthpiece try Roche-Thomas Corp - Cleansers

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Jazzcadenza,There is plenty of material on the web on how to treat, and what the causes are for Pimples on the Lips.Just Google " Pimples on lips".Good Luck!

7. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I think there are a couple ways to look at this:

1. Hygiene: Keep your equipment clean, like you are doing.

2. Mouthpiece material. Experiment with different mouthpieces (wood, plastic, stainless steel, gold plate, silver plate, lexan, etc.)

3. See a doctor/dermatologist/dentist.

4. Try to live healthy. Eat smart, hydrate properly, get enough exercise & sleep.

Good luck.
    Garry

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can exfoliate your lips with a paste made from sugar and honey. You may be getting clogged pores there. Be gentle with your lips though.

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Here is my $0.02.
    Try this product on the skin above the lip, Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips, not on the pink.
    Bioré.com - Products - Deep Cleansing Pore Strips

Some web sites say that it removes some skin so talk to your dermatologist.
    Keep it off the red for sure.

Talk to your dermatologist about removing the hair, waxing, shaving or growing a mustache to keep the pores cleaned out.

I had this happen once in high school. There were none of these products available except lava soap and Noxema cleansing cream.

Let us know how it goes.

10. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    omg lol all this fuss over a pimple. its just a pimple. If you can squezze the puss out of it. Cut down on your suger eg lollies and chocolates. And make sure your face skin isnt oily and greasy because that causes pimples. if you work near grease and oil that is probaly the cause. my motto "sqeeze the pimps" lol