Who can tell me about bass trumpets?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by s_hill2, Jun 10, 2005.

1. s_hill2

s_hill2 New Friend

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm interested in getting a bass trumpet, but I don't know much about them. Basically I'm looking for some variety - I play a Bach Stradivarious model 37 that I've had for 30+ years and I love it. But I don't have the upper range I used to (hence the idea of trying a lower range instrument). I play mostly jazz.

I've heard a bass trumpet just once and liked the sound. When I look locally I can only find shops willing to order me a new horn for over $2,000 - no one ever seems to run avross a used one. EBay occasionally has something used but I can't really tell what I'd be getting.

I'd welcome anything anyone can tell me - how to select one, where to find one, whether this is a bad idea. Thanks!

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

As far as I remember, Bass Trumpets take a large mouthpiece, i.e. something similar to trombone or euphonium sized?

Unless I'm mistaken..

3. dixiedaveb

dixiedaveb New Friend

May 25, 2005
    southern california
    bass trumpet

Both of my adult sons are trombonists and double on bass trumpet. I am posting this note based on their input.
    Most bass trumpets use a trombone style mouthpiece. Al Cass and Parduba make "doubler" mouthpieces, a trumpet rim with a chambered underpart.
    Bach, Conn and Holton bass trumpets are what most of the people use. The Conn is the brightest and Bach being the darkest. Intonation is a problem. You could also try some of the marching style valve trombones and baritones. Most sound good and are a great deal. Check out the Olds or the King Flugalbone. These are often on Ebay for under $500. Hope this helps.

4. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    In most orchestras the bass trumpet part is usually played by a trombonist.

5. s_hill2

s_hill2 New Friend

Jun 10, 2005
    Thamks, everyone. I appreciate the help.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If you can, Steve, contact Karl Lenthe and Dee Stewart at Indiana Univerity. We've used them both here for bass trumpet repertoire. Karl has played with us most frequently in recent years.

ML

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You could also talk to NickD who is a member of this site: he's had quite a bit of experience with bass trumpets. Send him a PM; he's a very cool guy who will be happy to answer your questions.

8. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello, s_hill2, and Welcome to TrumpetMaster. We look forward to your posts !

I've only had one occasion to play a Bass Trumpet (a Holton), and, as an infrequent "doubler" on Trombone, I decided to stay with the Trombone, and keep-up my novice-level familiarily with slide positions and the Bass Clef. I do use the fine Parduba "Doubler's" mouthpiece, though (can get that elusive "sizzle"-tone).

Regards,
    Robert Rowe

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

My old school system used tromboniums. They were more narrow bore than baritones and nice and light; very easy to play. A decent trombonium might be easier to find than a bass trumpet. Perhaps you would want to try an alto horn? An alto horn mouthpiece can be real close to trumpet size.

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    we play on some bass trumpets when workin' in trumpet ensemble stuff... Any particulars you need to know about them?