who cant sing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 12, 2012.

do you feel the need to throw the tpt, and can you sing

Poll closed Aug 16, 2012.
  1. I can sing, and have never felt the need to throw my tpt into the wall

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. I cant sing, and have never felt the need to throw my tpt into the wal

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. I can sing, and sometimes feel the need to throw my tpt into the wal

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. I cant sing, and sometimes feel the need to throw my tpt into the wal

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I have worked many years as a musician. In some cases I was a singer who doubled on trumpet, and in others i was a trumpet player who doubled as a singer. It all depended on organizational need. I have been paid to sing so I will assume that I can sing. I have the pay stubs as verification.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A friend used to run the "I can't sing" choir, and rescued many people from believing that they could not sing. I have done the same with trumpet students.

If you can speak with normal inflection, you can sing. Singing is just speaking with exaggerated pitch modulation. The reason so many think they cannot sing is mental, not physical. Whether your voice is beautiful or not is in the (eye) ear of the beholder.

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

+1. You'd have to be dumb not to be able to sing. :dontknow:

Turtle

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, guys, those of you stating that anyone can sing are overlooking one thing - pitch recognition. I wouldn't put hard cash down betting that anyone who has a pleasing sound also has good pitch recognition, no siree.

Unrelated to the above statement, "Who can't sing?" . . . me. I have only one vocal cord that works and it's fairly inconsistent.

A couple of years ago, I was in an advanced theory class led by Billy Harper and all we did for two weeks was sing and memorise a transcribed solo of his (tenor sax), and it was a bitch. After several days, I asked him if he was sure he wanted me to sing and he gave a chuckle and "Oh yeah, man. I dig the multiphonics."
    Regardless, I never give up. Singing (and particularly sight-singing) is very important. At that same two-week workshop run by the NYC's New School (in Italy), as an elective I chose sight-singing. And I dropped out of big band run by Cecil Bridgewater to do it.

Oh, p.s., regarding throwing the trumpet - when I was in the 10th grade, I used to get very frustrated when practicing, so I bought a Pan American trumpet off of a schoolmate for a buck, kept it handy when I practiced, and chucked it hard every time I got pi**ed. Interesting cause-and-effect situation: I changed trumpet teachers and quit throwing the Pan American and haven't felt the urge to do that since.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    With my voice, can't carry a tune in a double bottom bucket. Never felt like tossing my trumpet against a wall. the Chinese flugle....................no comment:roll::dontknow::oops:

7. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    For the few times I've tried I actually can sing, but ever since I was in grade school the thought from my family members has been that I can't.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Even though I voted that I cant sing, technically I guess that I can. If part of the definition is "would anyone think it a pleasant noise", then I was right in my initial vote. I really only sing in church and then its softly to not at all. Nuf said. As far as throwing my trumpet, get serious, I learned a long time ago that a poor musician blames his instrument. If anything I pity it because I know it is capable of so much more than I can do, also a sign of a good musician. Best wishes.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    How would Tom Waits have voted??????

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Haha ..... I like the way Tom Waits sings. He plays the trumpet?

Turtle