Who chooses ML bores and why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 26, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Amongst my collection of Bb trumpets is a 1980s silver Bundy ML bore. What kind of trumpet player would choose a ML bore and for what reason?.........crow

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ML, medium large is an arbitrary designation to make "large bore" seem more important. The bore size by itself does not tell you anything about the blow, bigness of sound or tone color. All other things being equal, a large bore trumpet can be a bit LOUDER than the ML version.
    I think the only type of professional trumpet player that would admit to playing ML horns are those free of geekiness (not too many of those around!), who just trust their chops and ears instead of the ad copy...............

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I do play ML...so what?

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick,
    so you live in the geek free zone! How did the Haydn go?
    Robin

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hey, that's me! Cool, thanks Rowuk! Hear that, everyone? Vulgani are not geeks!

It was Schilke's contention that a smaller bore combined with a big bell helps to produce a darker sound; we find this in rotary-valve trumpets, flugelhorns, and Bach's Vindabona model. Very, very often we'll find players using a ML Bb trumpet and a LB C trumpet. Like women's jeans one manufacturer's "LB" is another's "ML." The bore size however, has little to do with resistance, playability, loudness or the player's character.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Not yet. Tomorrow is my first rehearsal with the orchestra and the concert in on Thursday, 18h

Play it with my Spada ML...Geek free? Sounds almost like Duty Free ROFL Would not mind your Monette though ROFL
    Geek or not Geek I like big toys but don't really pay attention on numbers and letters...if it sounds right to me and is easy to play, then I want it! I would appreciate having for Haydn the prototype of the new 4 valve E flat of Toni Possegger...hope to be able to afford one when he fix it for good....

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Umm Jerry,
    LB has nothing to do with womens JEANS

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    oopsie!

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Gee, I was going to sell my ML bore Bundy but I don't want to be a geek. Just kidding...bye bye Bundy, I have plenty of other ML bores in my collection.........crow

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm gonna ask my wife at dinner tonight about LB & womens jeans, she knows everything. I bet she has a good answer......nice knowing y'all :)