Who did you stydy with?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, May 19, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    And actually, as many here might agree with, a shout out to all the wonderful colleagues we learned from by playing next to them, sharing ideas and picking up tricks of the trade.

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I've had a couple of "old school" teachers when I was younger, but recently, the last year and a half, I've had some lessons with Adam Rapa. Best lessons I've had in my entire carreer. Endurance, sound and register has increased a lot. RECOMMENDED!

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I've heard his name mentioned many times, and nothing but nice things are said about him. Good to know there are instructors like him around.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's old hash as I've told many times prior, but initially my instructor, private tutor, and high school band director, all the same, was Dr. Walter H. Cameron, formerly a cornet player with John Phillip Sousa's second commercial band 1926-31. I was late enrolling to finish my college after USAF and had it not been for his recommendation I would have had to audition for band ... and the auditions were already over. All I can say is what and how he taught me stuck with me well enough to make my college band and comeback relatively easy.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If I consider this, I've had quite a few "teachers" over the years and I've picked up a lot of things just having to step up to the plate and come up to the level of other players in some of the ensembles I was in.

I probably learned more from a guy named Tom Strayer than any other single person. I wound up in a brass quintet with him. I was young and pretty moldable, and he was an experienced performer and player, and I'd like to think he took me under his wing and brought me along. I worked with him in the brass quintet, and sat next to him in the concert band when I was at the First US Army Band on Fort Meade. He taught me a lot about phrasing, style, musicianship and musicality in general, and pointed me in the right direction for matters of technique.

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    When I was in school I studied with Irving Sarin, former principal trumpet Pittsburgh Symphony, and Bernie Adelstein, Cleveland Symphony. After 3 years in the Army, I attended Wayne State in Detroit where I studied with Gordon Stump, a great theater, big band, and first-call session and concert player, as well as Johnny Trudell, a fantastic player and bandleader, who played with Tommy Dorsey, Bob Crosby, Tex Beneke, and Quincy Jones. Stump and Trudell were also "Funk Brothers", appearing on numerous Motown recordings. I also studied arranging with David Van De Pitte who is primarily known for his work at Motown and his Grammy-winning work on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On".

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    A shout out to all those wonderful people who took the time to help us along the way.

8. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    This is a funny question for me. I can't claim to be an accomplished musician, I am just an amateur middle-aged comebacker. And yet, when I was really young -- like, 8 years old --
    I had lessons with some exceptionally gifted players. Entirely by accident!

My first teacher, when I was 8, was Phil Smith (principal, NY Philharmonic). At the time, he was still in college. I had only a few lessons.
    Shortly after that, I had a few lessons with another college student, the great Brazillian jazz player Claudio Roditi.
    Then when I was 11, I studied with Jimmy Maxwell (Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Benny Goodman, student of Herbert L. Clarke) for about a year.

The combined expertise of these amazing players did little for me. I was unmotivated, and not a good player. (I'm doing much better as a comebacker, thanks....but, as much as I would like to, I can't say it's due to anything I learned as a kid.)

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Wonderful story; thanks for sharing.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]

Graham Walker (the little cup is Solo Champion of Great Britain 1971)

....and I've just noticed that he's lifted my intro post from this site to use as a testimonial. Must have tickled him! (see here).