Who do you recommend for repair / restoration?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by craigph, Jun 15, 2014.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I have a pre-war Olds Super that has some dents in the bell and almost no lacquer left. Other than that it is in amazingly good shape, and I love the way it plays. The valves appear to be near-pristine and have great compression. I want to get the bell repaired, have any other repair / restoration work needed done and re-lacquered to bring it to like-new condition.

I live in Toronto and contacted Ron Partch about taking on this job. He recommended sending it to Tom Green at Green's Buffing. That was about 4 months ago. I have tried to contact Tom Green a few times and never had any reply. I like the look of the work he's done but I guess it's time to see who else might be a good choice. Seems like I'll have to ship it to the US and back regardless so location isn't really an issue.

I have heard about Kanstul ($), Charlie Melk ($$$) and Dr. Valve ($$$). Is that pretty much it? I would prefer to not pay an exorbitant amount, and prefer to have a reasonable turnaround (not waiting half a year more to get it back).

Any advice, especially related to your own stories of restorations and repair would be appreciated.

Craig

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mark Metzler at Metzler Brass does really, really fine metal work.

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Have you had work done by him? Is so - what was it?

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Why not send it to the guy who MADE most of the supers - Ziggy Kanstul at Kanstul. I have an Olds Recording he redid 30 years ago. Looks brand new. NO one will do it better than Kanstul- some may come close- but for Olds- he is now Olds.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Lots of good choices out there.

I had Kanstul restore 3 trumpet for me back in 2012 --

My 1957 Olds Ambassador - dent work, relacquer.
    My 1972 43* Strad - rebuilt valves, replace leadpipe, tons of dent work, relacquer.
    My 1980 CML Strad - replace leadpipe and tuning slide, dent work, replate.

The turnaround time for each horn was about 4-5 weeks (shipping time included) for each horn. However, it's the summer repair season, so I suspect many shops (including Kanstul) will be very busy until September.

Regardless of who you select, be very specific on what you want. I sent detailed instructions with drawings, and after they reviewed the horn, discussed the plan by phone before the work was done.

Also, with Kanstul, all work is done in-house.

I was very happy with the work they did.

Mike

7. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I didn't know that. I got the impression that with a guy like Charlie Melk or Dr. Valve they would inspect a horn and tell you what needed to be done to do a thorough restoration. Also a good way for them to up-sell.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Not yet but I have talked with him and now that both kids are out of the house I'll have the money. His before and after shots are incredible. Kanstul is also a very good choice.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    With my horns, there was input by both me and Zig. The suggestions can't be one-sided. They need to know what your expectations are. And since there's no face-to-face communication (I'm on the east coast, they're on the west coast), I thought it best to be very detailed with my input.

Mike

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Refer here: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/anybody-else-being-ignored-tom-green-67758-16.html

Tom Green has a huge loyal following, but time does not seem to be a priority in his business. And communications comes a close second last ahead of time... But his work is great, time turnaround seems to be measured in 10 to 20 months from the threads. There are some members who have work done quicker, and will swear by him. For such a craftsman, he should put on an apprentice to carry the reputation rather than have it destroyed by bad comms and time delays.

I have not had any restorations done in USA, but have bought 2 Recordings, 1 x Zig Kanstul and 1 x Charlie Melk - both are superb horns.
    There are several great horn restorers, with great reputations, and all those listed are worth talking to for a restoration.

Me - For any Olds I would go to Zig Kanstul for a restoration as first point of contact.