Who do you recommend for repair / restoration?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by craigph, Jun 15, 2014.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for the input Peter. I had read that thread you referred to but didn't want to jump to any conclusions about Mr. Green.

2. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Ditto Josh Landress. Recent total restoration of my Martin Committee in raw brass. I wish I had the before photo. My "barn find" horn looked like it was found in a river. Also, his prices are very fair. 2014-04-22 21.50.19_resized.jpg

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Really first-class repair and restoration work: Franz Josef Traut in Munich (He does all the repair work for Tine Thing Helseth). Instrumentenbau Traut
    Usually, he does a quick job.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for the input. Beautiful Committee.

5. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for the info barliman. I am in Canada so it is probably easier / cheaper to send my horn across the border to the US.

6. etf111

etf111 New Friend

Aug 25, 2013
    Just thought I'd throw my .02 in on Tom Green (albeit, late to this post). I am looking to get mine re-done because it WAS Tom Green who did it. Sent to him with the idea of the glass blast and gold finishes combined. Took FOREVER but when I got it back, it looked incredible. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few months and the gold lacquer started coming off. Sent it back (at my expense) and he returned it .... once again ... a LONG time later. Explained he was using outsources for the plating but did it that time, himself. A few months later, plating started coming off again.

Figure two times is enough and now need it fixed.

Can send pictures of the lacquer just peeling off.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is what Tom Green just did to one of our members Olds Super. He is an artist. He is worth every penny he asks and every minute he takes to finish your horn.

[​IMG]

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Anybody know if craigph sent his horn to someone? He hasn't posted since June.
    Jim

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Let's not forget Robb Stewart. I've had several horns restored by him, with exceptionally fine results in every case. I can say the same about Mark Metzler. I've not had as much work done by Charlie Melk as by Robb and Mark, but what he's done has been superb. I only have one horn which was redone by Kanstul, but it's also top-notch. I don't know whether Harry Carter is still doing his magic at Pettifors, or whether it's still a going concern, but if he is, he does fine work, too. Some times, it's a matter of who can work you into their waiting list.

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Mark Metzler built a new key (post from a valve guide) on a very old Conn for a student of mine.

Turn around was less than two weeks and inexpensive. I highly recommend Mark also.