Who got Gozzo's work

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by abbedd, Oct 12, 2005.

1. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    When Gozzo died in 1964 who replaced him on all those nice lead parts in the west coast studio

Abbedd

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Uan Rasey.

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Didn't Audino benefit from Gozzo's untimely death too?

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I could be wrong ... I frequently am ... I thought Al Porcino picked up a lot there too.

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    There were several people who picked up the "slack" after Goz died. This implies that he had every studio gig in town, and that was far from true. Uan Rasey was certainly there. Maynard was doing lots of studio in those days as well. Manny Klein and Claude Gordon were there too. I believe Al was still on the road in the 60s. I think everyone on Tutti Camaratta's Trumpets Trumpets album was a studio lead player (if you've never heard it, find it, buy it even if its an lp). I've got this information someplace in my head, so when it comes to me I'll edit this thing.

6. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Uan Rasey played Lead on all the charts for that "Tutti" recording. The other guys including Gozzo had features and saved it for those. Listen to Uan play Lead, you get a small idea of what an amazing player he was!!

7. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    You're absolutely right, Dave. I pulled it out today and listened to it. Just an incredible experience. All of these guys should be put on a pedastal and praised because they could all play anything put in front of them and get it right--usually on the first take.

I also pulled out a 45 I have of Goz (Walking and Swinging--Conrad Gozzo and his Swinging Strings) which has four cuts on it. He puts his soul into these songs and almost makes you want to cry its so beautiful.

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Regarding Tutti's Trumpets Recording....

This LP was difficult to find. It has now been issued on CD. I was able to download it from EMuSIC very inexpensively. Beautiful recording...especially Conrad Gozzo's "Trumpeters Prayer"

9. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It is also available on iTunes music store.

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I'm sure very few guys today realized what incredible players Conrad Gozzo, Uan Rasey were. Uan had the technique of Clarke, the power of Gozzo, the musicianship to put it all together. Gozzo died much too young!