Who has the best non-pro trumpet/cornet section?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Feb 1, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Now's the chance for some of you to brag on your local community bands. I want to know what non-pro level band you have played in or heard that has the best trumpet section?

For me, I would have to put my top three in this order;

1) Brass Band of Columbus - Click to hear this fine band!
    http://www.brassbandofcolumbus.org/Recordings/Americans/Robinsons.ram
    http://www.brassbandofcolumbus.org/Recordings/Champions/champions.ra
    2) Austin Symphonic Band (I heard them at the 1997 Midwest Clinic and they were wonderful. I have not heard them since then.)
    3) Northshore Concert Band - This band has 16 trumpet players and 6 of them make a living as band directors or trumpet players, I was amazed at how well they play. I've heard them several times, and never heard them have anything other than a wonderful performance.

I know they are pro, but I have to mention the Dallas Winds Trumpet section! They are really super.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I guess it would depend on your definition of professional. Make their living at music? Or just part of it (would that include band directors?).

Anyway, every time I hear the Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal) Band I am floored. For those of you that don't know, they were the brass band in "Brassed Off".

Their version of "Melody Shop" by Karl King is simply unbelievable.

Some truly non-professionals (they actually paid for the privilege) was last year's trumpet line for the Blue Devils Drum and Bugle Corps. Oh my. Clean, clean, clean and they had two kids that were popping double Cs (and maybe beyond) with ease and clarity over and over again, night after night. All of them were 21 or under. Amazing.

Jim

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Since when have the Devils NOT had an awesome trumpet section. Do you remember the year they did House of The Rising Sun? That kid was melting that plunger! I'd also add in the Madison Scouts. They usually have a pretty sweet trumpet section.

4. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    Music and character, what about black dyke and ybs? I personally prefer their cornet sections.
    dave

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Black Dyke - no question

Honourable mention (and then some) should also go to:

YBS
    Sellers
    Grimethorpe
    Brighouse & Rastrick

The joy of the amateur brass band world - everybody has a "proper job" away from the band.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    It's great to hear from the "other side of the pond"! I have no idea about your bands over there, but I have heard CD's of many of them and they were all wonderful! I just love Brass Band music! MAybe someday I can come over and here some of your championships!

I also agree - never thought about drum corps! Many of them have great sections.

7. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    trumpetmike, i suppose you could add lots of bands to that list.
    buy as you view cory
    leylands
    fodens
    fairy
    etc...

dave

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hannaford Street Silver Band.

http://www.hssb.ca/

The resident Sparx cornet mouthpiece guru, Ted Sparks, is a member. Nonsense Eliminator is (or was?) a member.

9. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Thanks for the shoutout! Well, partially. :-) I play in the HSYB, Hannaford Street YOUTH Band. We're kiddie organization, but come to think of it, we've got a lot of university and college players this year. The band's probably the best it's been in the five years I've been there. And we just finished our second CD! I can't wait to hear the mixed and mastered version.

Wow...I've been yammering on a lot about stuff that doesn't really concern the thread. The HSSB has a great cornet section.

10. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.