Who has the best non-pro trumpet/cornet section?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Feb 1, 2005.

1. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    One hell of a band cory.
    dave

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I listened to St. Magnus - Downie -- Wow!!! That is fantastic! Please tell us a little about that wonderful band -- the about page is still being built on the website.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Who could argue with Black Dyke? Not me.

I love YBS's uniforms ... with the green trim. Can't argue about them either.

[​IMG]

I love the sound of a British Brass Band. And I admire the amazing dedication it takes to play at that level. We have a few British Brass Bands on this side of the pond, and one right in my town (Bend in the River Brass Band in Newburgh, IN). I wish I could play with them, but they rehearse when I am directing the church choir.

It seems that a similar level of excellence is reached in the States by drum and bugle corps. But that is a different genre altogether.

Listen to this clip of the 2004 Blue Devils. Remember these are all kids under 21 and the recording is made while they are on the field playing. I saw the show 3 times last year and was floored.

http://www.bluedevils.org/programs/a/2004/media/audio/20040602_blues_hit.mp3

BTW, there are some avatars of British Brass Bands in the gallery if anyone is interested.

Jim

4. dave_59

dave_59 New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    i bought my cornet from one of YBS's players, plays great. I have seen them in concert once, some brilliant playing. They have some world class musicians amongst them.
    dave