Who have you seen live?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Jul 19, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Absolutely noone. It's depressing. In the immortal words of Bob Dylan, "Honey, how come you don't move?"

I could make the trek. Anyone coming to Portland???

Turtle

2. mrubin

mrubin New Friend

May 24, 2007
    cleveland ohio
    Louis Armstrong,Al Hirt,Cat Anderson,Cootie Williams,Ray Nance,Clark Terry,Doc,Maynard,Thad Jones,Warren Vache,Terence Blanchard,Wynton,Jonah Jones,Bill Chase,Lin Biviano, several more I can't remember.......Damn I'm old!!

3. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Allen Vizzutti, Phil Driscoll.

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've seen many famous trumpeters live but one concert sticks out in my mind.
    My college jazz band was invited to play at the Montreux Jazz Fest in 1984. One of the many acts performing while we were there was Miles Davis! Sadly I must say I was a little disapointed. He spent most of the night on stage playing in to a planter box of flowers that adorned the rear of the stage with his back to the audience. Of course he had a mic clipped to his bell so hearing was not the issue, it just seemed like he just wasn't interested in connecting with the audience in any way. Occasionally he would make an incoherent anouncement of the tune but that was it. He was in his jazz/pop phase of his career so I wasn't really digging the music either. But hey I can say I saw Miles live lol.
    Other trumpeters I have seen are numerous including Dizzy,Freddy Hubbard,Wynton Marsalis,Maynard,Doc Severenson,Chuck Mangione,Jon Faddis and others.
    I partied with Bobby Shew on a cruise ship once.(Roy Hargrove was on the ship too) Gotta love Bobby, fantastic player and even better human being.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Earl Gardner once helped me eat approx. 3 dozen home made chocolate chip cookies for breakfast one morning in Philly. We doused them down with milk and had beer for dessert.

I've seen a lot of great players live but one that really stands out was Chet Baker at a small private club in Florence (Italy, not Kentucky).

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Only one I can list is Driscoll...........:oops:

7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Tomasz Stanko, Christian Scott, Jack Shelton and Chris Botti 2 years (2009/2010) in a row which was almost the exact set, stories and jokes both times.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Turtle it's the same here. Only some street musicians, whoever plays trumpet with "The Hitmen" who played wednesday night on Murphy Street in Sunnyvale. Can't afford concerts or bars with bands, so I've basically not seen anyone. I'd say this is probably the situation with at least 75% of Americans. You and I are *not* alone. This is why I think community bands, public free concerts, and a slightly less Gestapo policy towards street music are good things. I notice farmer's markets growing since you can buy veggies like 1/3 the price of the supermarket, get free samples, no entry fee to go in, the kids seem to like it, and there are musicians or bands, the only live music the kids are going to see and kids LOVE music being played "for real".

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Al (I, II and III), Maurice (I,II), Rafael, Timofey, Heinz, Ed, Bud, Doc, Mike (I, II), Marv, Mic, Maynard, Herb, Ed, Charlie, Mundy, Bernie, John, Adolf, Philip, Helmut, Reinhold, Marc, Anthony, Dennis, Niklas, Urban and Joakim, Hakan, Sergei, Miles, Wynton, Roy, Dan, Tom, Vince, Roger, Gerard, Derek, Conradin, Bruce, Gil, Seymour, Jon, Alison, Carole Dawn, Walther, Dave, Wayne, Ronald, Fred, Thomas, Tomas, Michael, Rodney, Rolf just to mention a few. I have not heard Wilmer live and that is a big loss!

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Synecdoche - a figure of speech, where part of something is used to refer to the whole thing. In this case, trumpet used to refer to player and trumpet combination. Unless I am mistaken, the trumpet does not play itself nor does it make an appearance without a person to hold it up.

Call it what you will, I call it lazy 21st century texto-speech. Chisi Botti, David Wells, Maynard Ferguson, Al HIirt, Raphael Mendez, Tomasz Stanko, Christian Scott, Jack Shelton (sic), Louis Armstrong, Cat Anderson, Cootie Williams, Ray Nance, Clark Terry, Doc, Thad Jones, Warren Vache, Terence Blanchard, Wynton, Jonah Jones, Bill Chase, Lin Biviano, Miles Davis, the list goes on, but WTF is the point? They are (were) NOT trumpets. You can buy a damn trumpet!

People, flesh and blood, skin and bones, living, breathing, vulnerable, imperfect, artistic, IOW human beings. Thats where the MUSIC comes from. A trumpet makes no music.