Who here didn't start playing when they were young?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi there everyone, I played in 6th grade for 1 year and I don't remember much at all of that experience. I decided to pick up the horn a year ago. My dad stopped playing and gave me his old horn. I got myself a wonderful teacher, I'm taking lessons with Keith Fiala, he played with Maynard in 2004 and is a great teacher. Just wondering how many of you are/were in a similar boat and what your stories are. I just feel very alone in my playing sometimes. I practice every day for varying amounts of time, but it's at the very least an hour after warm up every day. I want to join a group but I don't think I'm ready. My teacher will let me know when I am I'm sure. I just was wondering if anyone else had a similar trumpet journey. It seems that most everyone started by going through the ranks in junior high and high school. I am in a weird place because I've decided to do this late in life. I'm 27. And I don't have a support group besides Keith, who is enormously supportive. I've seen him play with Allen Vizutti and a few other groups and he just kills it consistently. I am committed to doing this, and becoming really good. Thanks for your time.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    27 .. LATE IN LIFE????? hardly
    if I were you I would find some group to play with ... that's why they have 3rd parts .. well not really but you get my drift. Your playing with really take a much faster track playing with some sort of group ... and it's fun. Just remember everyone has been where you are now so it's not a big thing... as long as you know where to tacet in a concert :)
    ..and keep us posted ..we love to hear success stories around here ... come to think of it we love to hear about the train wrecks too

3. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Dave, I needed a boost. :)

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    27? They let you practice in the old-folks home?

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Evan, I am not sure that one year is really enough time to prepare you to play in any of these bands, but you can definitely give them a call, check out web pages, visit and sit in and otherwise give them a try. Practicing alone day after day is no fun. It's a lot more fun to mix it up with playing in, and associating with the members of, a band.

Here are a couple you can check out. I listed area bands also because I don't know if you're in Austin proper and on which side. I'll leave the geography up to you. I did not list the Austin Symphonic Band - Home below because they are an audition-only group and take players on an as-needed basis (i.e. when there is a vacancy). Of course you could give them a visit regardless.

Welcome to Band of the Hills
    Austin Civic Wind Ensemble
    Hill Country Community Band of Marble Falls
    The Hill Country Community Band

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Schleiman, I have the same basic experience as you, although I lasted a couple of years, initially - and I got the bug to comeback after 37 years - with greatest respect, You are a Pup when it comes to comebacking combackers ;-).

I absolutely agree with Dave - if you worry about being ready, you never will be. Jump in, there is no deep end. All players know how hard it is to get into to it like you are - trust them to do the right thing by you, remember, YOU have to get involved to earn their respect, but you don't have to be Maynard Ferguson. The fun will be well worth a little embarassment - if you are a true trumpeter - there will be no embarassment though. (Embarassment is good though - it makes your face red and keeps you warm :thumbsup:).

Tell Keith you want to get into a band, see what he says.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Wish I had started when I was young! Didn't start until I was nearly 40, and then taught myself to read music and play brass. Tune A Day. Book One. Still learning.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aren't we ALL :dontknow:.

9. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I don't know really.

I know players that can play anything put in front of them and play it brilliantly first time. They practise for hours a day to be that good though, but whether they are still 'learning' is a moot point. :cool:

10. Pisarenko

Pisarenko New Friend

Dec 11, 2010
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Very nice post there Coolerdave. I got a boost out of that as well :)

I started at 30 and am 33 now. I practice every day and am very serious about getting to be a good player.

I have an excellent teacher here, but there aren´t many opportunities to play Jazz, that´s really what I would like to do, get together with some folks and play...but there is also that nawing feeling that I´m not good enough yet...but that feeling can probably be pretty persistent as life goes on...

But great post Evan.