Who here didn't start playing when they were young?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    From were I am sitting, 40 is young!

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

Me too! ;-)

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My folks have pics of me "playing" my dad's Committee when I was 4. They say I didn't sound like Miles :roll:. I played from 6th to 12th grade. I had so many outside interests, I didn't focus on music during that time period. Plus I HATED my 7C mouthpiece (but that's another thread). I wanted to play football, baseball, etc. . Dropped it for 25 +/- years. Back in that day, there were not many (read: none!) outlets other than professional ones. Currently still on the "comeback" trail. If you are a church going kinda dude, that could be a place to start. Most church's are glad to just have breathing bodies in their music ministry. Don't believe me, look at who they will let sing!!ROFL
    AND, they let me in when I couldn't play an E in the staff! If that's not an option, try a geezer/weezer group. Most those bodies still breathing too! Enjoy the instrument and keep practicing. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

4. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks a lot for the links and the candid post kehaulani. I will check these groups out. Also, I don't know if you play professionally or not, but whenever you are playing around town drop me a line or pm me or something. I just love listening to music. And it's always good to meet other musicians. :)

5. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That's a really good idea Toby thanks! I bet playing some simple hymns would be really good practice too. My wife and I still haven't settled on a church we really like here so I've got options there. Should I look for larger churches that would have room for me in an ensemble? Or rather, when you play in church is it usually solo stuff?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Depending on what you want to do, A larger "contemporary" church will play more types of songs. Our band is comprised currently of 2 trumpets, 2 'bones, 3 saxes (one guy doubles on clarinet), an F horn, flute, guitar,bass,2 pianos,and a drummer. Oh yeah, and singers. :-)
    Playing in a larger group will be easier IMO, it was for me. I also have a Baptist hymnal so graciously given to my by Westlake Baptist near Roanoke, Va.. The only limits I've run into are self imposed. :thumbsup:

7. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    27?....I got valve oil older than thatROFL

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Yes, church is a great place for a trumpet player. I've found that hymns can be a good way to build stamina, they dont have rests!

Also, people at church arent going to criticize you if you dont play perfectly, they tend to be very forgiving ROFL:lol: ....anybody? anybody? Tough crowd...

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Me too!! ROFL
    I have some Holton Electric Oil #2 for instrument valves! Price with plain cap $.30 with dropper $.35. It was in the case my Conn 40B came in.:lol:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They also have NO IDEA what your part is! It's not like Festival!