Who here didn't start playing when they were young?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by schleiman, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    I started this at 36 (37 now). I love it. I have a teacher of course but want to do more than my exercises and daily trumpet routines. I answered an ad on Craiglist from a drummer that wanted to hold a jam session. I told him that I wasn't very good and would probably sit most tunes out. He replied back no problem. He posted another ad that said he found a horn player and all skill levels were welcome. That ad ended up with a reply back from a keyboardist and two bass players. Long story short we all brought our fake books and had a good time. They played a few tunes in their B flat so I could just work in my C scale. Then they branched out a little and were very encouraging feeding me the key we were in or what notes on my rig would be good improv starting points. They were very encouraging and I got an invite back. Another ad was posted and we've added some wind and string players as well. We've almost got a mini big band going on. Everyone was asked to work on 2 or 3 songs.

So this weeks song list:
    Satin Doll
    Blue Bossa
    Killer Joe
    Well You Needn’t, F
    How High The Moon, G
    Watermelon Man, F
    Mercy Mercy Mercy, Bflat
    Freddie Freeloader
    April In Paris
    Las Vegas Tango

I told my teacher and he was very encouraging. He had me work on Satin Doll and Killer Joe (an octave lower) during the end of my last lesson. I thought Satin Doll was going to be too much for me but he had me break it down measure by measure and I'm ready to blow come Friday. I picked Freddie Freeloader after hearing it last session because it's easy enough for me to work on. Oh I also posted my own ad which said I was looking for a Jazz/Swing/Big Band mentor. No one replied directly to it but the folks that read that ad replied to the drummer's ad.

I don't look at things as me being late to the game but right on time. If I'd picked up the trumpet at any other period in my life I wouldn't have had the discipline or drive to stick with it. In any case you've got to start somewhere. Where you're at is where you're at. Stay on the look out for jams that are novice friendly and good mentors. Keep up your regular practice routine and I'm sure you'll do just fine.

2. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thank you everyone for all the info and encouragement! And BTW, what I meant by "later in life" was later in life than most everyone I've talked to! But now I've found what I was looking for, it seems several of you started later too and are enjoying your trumpet journey! Kudos to that and thanks again!

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    3 years at 32.

It amazes me how people will play 4-6 years in middle school and high school, them maybe even 4 more years in college, then put it down, sell the horn and never play it again.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    By all means join a group to play with. It will improve your playing and give you a sense of " making music" that is difficult to achieve playing alone. Besides it's a lot of fun.:thumbsup:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree. So any of you TM members that fall into this demographic, don't let it happen to you! Your life experience could likely not reach the level of enhancement that would have been otherwise possible if leaving the horn behind.

Perhaps, I can use Kingtrumpet as an example. OK, on second thought, scratch that comparison; however, many many other true success stories do come to mind.

6. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I emailed the director of the Austin Civic Wind Ensemble today, waiting to hear back from him. I'll keep ya'll posted, they don't start rehearsals back up for another month.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey

Evan, right now the ACWE (Austin Civic Wind Ensemble) is having a "summer fun" big band for those who are in the wind ensemble but who are interested in big band music, as well as keeping their chops up during the ensemble's break.

You are more than welcome to drop by and meet some of the players. Both ACWE's director and its associate conductor are usually there. Rehearsals are held at the same day/time/place as the wind ensemble rehearsals.

I've heard a rumour that the big band leader is reasonably good. :D

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That's interesting - I played for a much shorter time at school and "dropped out" of trumpet playing - but I kept the trumpet. It was virtually unplayed for 37 years but represents the genesis of my N + 1. Who'd've thought? :dontknow:

9. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That's awesome! And sounds like fun, I'll drop by this tuesday, I think that's when they meet right? Thanks for the tip!

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I would suggest playing the type of music you love....blues...hymns...jazz...rock...whatever. Then, find a venue to play what you love.

tedh1951 likes this.