Who here warms down, and what is your technique?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Brent McBugler

Brent McBugler New Friend

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    Of course a good warm up is necessary for sufficient trumpet playing, but recently I have been researching ways of "warming down." I have read that a good warm-down is essential to resting your chops and mind after practicing. Any tips?

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    My practice time is usually limited, so in order to maximize it, I don't spend a whole lot of time warming down.

That said, I usually play some low register Clarke #1 exercises and buzz out my lips a bit.

Maybe 2 minutes total.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Warm downs are simply things that active players don't worry about. There is no physical requirement for the face if we are playing within our comfort zone. If we are playing well out of the comfort zone, where we beat up our faces, then we need to increase practice time between gigs instead of compensating afterwards. our facial playing muscles do NOT need warming down. Trumpet players need as little psychological dependencies as possible. A missed warm down could be liability.

I generally play so much that I do not warm up or down. I do have an easy daily routine that does let me know where I am: Longtones, lip slurs and easy tunes. I just play these every day for maintenance.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was a working military bandsman, I found that if I took the time to warm down - basically soft long tones - one breath each - chromatically down to low F#, and then an easy chromatic scale upward ending on 2nd line G. Typically only after a long day of playing where I did multiples rehearsals or "pouch gigs" - gigs where the music was marches, which can be somewhat taxing.

So to say that active players don't worry about them isn't entirely accurate - I got into doing it (and still do it on occasion after a long practice session) on the advice of an older, more experienced, and better player than me. That was at a point in time where I was behind the horn 6-7 hours a day - not continuously playing, but either rehearsing or gigging, and then personal practice.

Did it help? Maybe a little bit - it always seemed that if I took the time to do that, then the next day my chops seemed to get moving a bit easier, but it wasn't absolutely essential.

Agree - I think that many trumpet players get way too wound up on gear, this special technique, that special technique, this modification on your horn, that particular model of trumpet, etc, etc. I never made too much of a warm down. If I thought about it, fine, but if not, it wasn't like I was going to play horribly because of it. Like Rowuk says, when you do so much playing, you get to a level of consistency in your day to day playing that you don't wrapped up in the minutiae and details that don't really matter to the bottom line of making music.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If I've been through a tough rehearsal I'll "warm down" by playing ghost tones (whisper soft notes that barely make it out the bell). In order to get these to come out properly the chops have to be together, so my "warm down" is simply to remind the lips how it is to play efficiently.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I only practice "warm downs" after Big Band rehearsals...which is tonight.

"Warm" Pizza accompanied with Red Wine to swill "Down" - normally nothing else, apart from a few Horse flutters of the lips.

7. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'll do a warm down after a hard effort or big band rehearsal. Unlike Rowuk, I don't play enough to not have to worry about it. I basically arpeggio down from third space C to double pedal C holding each for about 3 beats. So, C-G, C-G-E, C-G-E-C, etc.

I feel like it helps me be ready for either the next practice session (if after say a range study) or relax my chops if I'm calling it a day.

Mark

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If you feel the need, pedals are fine. But if you're playing a "gig/concert" in front of a crowd you won't be able to do that. It would be tacky. Horse flapping your lips discreetly will do what you want. I wouldn't get neurotic about it because sometimes you simply can't and shouldn't do it.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Brent,
    I warm down using a very simple method. I stop playing.
    No joke.
    Dr.Mark

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    You stated:
    "by playing ghost tones (whisper soft notes that barely make it out the bell)."
    ---
    Cool!! You play ghost tones. Not to steal away the post but when you play ghost notes, can you hear some of the overtones? I could be crazy (some have confirmed this to be a fact) but I can hear the overtones if I play soft enough.
    Dr.Mark