Who is the best??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    In your opinion Manny, who do you think is the best orchestral player out in the world right now?? If they had a "50 greatest active trumpet players" award or something, who would be number 1 in your book? Exclude youself from this one. Anyone else have thoughts?

In my personal opinion, Phil Smith...this is only an opinion...

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy,

It's a hard question for me to answer because:

Whereas many folks go and pick up the latest recording of this or that guy doing this or that piece, I don't do that so much as I used to. When I was doing it, it seemed to me that so many players sounded the same, musically and soundwise, I sort of lost interest.

The things that impress some folks are not always the same for me and vice versa. When someone has a nice sound, well, they should have a nice sound if they're currently holding a position in a major orchestra. So, I have to look further for things that will move me to say "Now, I like that". I don't buy recordings to hear a player shove every single note that's on the page into my ear like I did when I was studying and for a while after.

So, I've heard enough to say that there are many fine players out there today and each one deserves recognition. And how about players that are wonderful players that don't record as much and are in different countries? No, I'm not willing to confer the heavyweight crown on anybody just yet. And even if I did, it's still just my opinion. Sorry.

ML

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have a good idea who you think the best are. Jeremy could do a search and look up recommended recordings. I don't think you would recommend them if you didn't think they were good.

I guess that would only include players that have recorded.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, you see? That's the problem.

ML

5. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    :evil:
    listen to the dark side, manny. sieze the crown for yourself & lay waste to all other pretenders!!!! declare thyself grand emperor of the trumpet cosmos!

dj