Who is the world's loudest trumpeter?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by wbamb83392, Jan 29, 2004.

1. wbamb83392

wbamb83392 New Friend

Jan 24, 2004
    I've heard some loud cats and there are two I will never forget. One was the lead trumpet player for Orange Coast College (CA) in 1997 at the Reno jazz festival. He sounded really great, and was so loud you could actually hear his sizzle cutting through the sound of the 10 bazillion watt P.A. system from about 400 feet away across an enormous indoor sports arena. He was about 150 further away than the speakers, too.

The loudest I've ever heard is a guy named Paul Cacia. He was the conductor of the big band at a Louis Bellson tribute concert I saw and he played some solos too. I was nearly in the back of this medium size high school auditorium and his sound literally hurt me, it caused pain. He does these crazy antics where he winds up for a note with the horn coming down from over his head and then when he plays it looks like the sound is literally pushing him backward like he's holding a fire hose. Every time he'd wind up for a note, the poor old lady in front of me would mutter "Oh, good heavens" and cover her ears. At first I thought it was the PA cranked up too loud until he turned to one side while still playing and the reflection off the far wall drowned out the entire big band. I've heard Faddis and Arturo and they were pretty loud, but not like this guy. I was really trying not to crack up the whole time.

-Eric Bamberg

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've heard a lot of loud players, but the loudest that I have ever personally seen is.....(*drum roll*)

Maynard.

Who else?

3. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Back in the early 90's I went to see Doc in Corpus Christi, Texas. I was a bout 10 rows back and thought I would need my ears placed back on the side of my head at the end of the night. He used no microphone and the place seated about 6,500 people. In fact, I think my ears are still ringing from that night.

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I don't think it is so much Doc's volume as it is his projection and tone. It cuts through the air like a Bowie knife when he wants it to (though just to be fair, I have heard him get some beautiful soft tones out of one before). I still have to go with Harry James as second most powerful.

Funniest loud story I have is my junior year in HS, I go to Texas A&M-Commerce for Jr/Sr honor band. That night, they put on an exhibition showing off their music program, ending with the marching band. Now, I had a friend who happened to be in the band and said that the director always said that they should play louder, no matter how loud they had been. They listened. They circled the audience (I already knew what was coming, but still didn't have ear plugs), and proceed to play the "Blue Devil Warmup" First, very soft, then they sang it(proving once more the law of if you can sing it you can play it), and then the 150 piece ensemble just unloaded on the unsuspecting audience. Then they marched on stage and performed their show, which I remember consisted of Bolero and Malaguena (Stan Kenton would have been proud of the trumpet line, too).

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I don't loud necessarily translates to good but of the pros that I have heard there is no doubt that it is Maynard.

I heard him 4 years ago in Atlanta and he was playing a tune on his Flugelhorn off the "Brass Attitude" CD called Caruso. He started playing without the Microphone and his sound was huge. He then moved ito the microphone and it actually got softer. when his bell was blocked by the mic.

Lew Soloff said that the first night he was playing in Maynard's band and all of a sudden it sounded like 9 trumpets started playing to his right and he looked over and Maynard had just come in. He said it was one of the most thrilling moments he had ever experienced.

Mike

6. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    Actually, I'm probably the loudest player I've ever heard...but only when I miss a really exposed Bb above the staff :oops: ......they can hear THAT clam in Tucson...... :oops: jeez

7. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

8. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    It only got as far as Phoenix...... but man, that was good music....as Porcino would have said!!

9. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Seriously, sitting in dbacons' practice room hearing/feeling him play a double G... You can literally feel your ears trying to close down on themselves. It's the wierdest feeling.

Thanks Dave.

Kevin

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Shades of cookiemonster... what a thread.

Whether it's a virtue in and of itself is up for debate but nonetheless it's a skill of sorts. It's fun to hear when it's a great player that has that ability to pull off the high volume AND sound great, as well. In that regard, Doc, in his prime, was absolutely stupefying unplugged as was Maynard. The only player that I have heard live to show that kind of control at high volumes is Patrick Hession.

Obviously, there are more. That's just my experience. It was a neat surprise to hear Harry James thrown in there.

ML