who is your favorite trumpeter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Lee Loughnane, because he gets to blow beside Jimmy Pankow. How cool is that?!

2. 3cats

3cats New Friend

May 17, 2013
    May I put my $.02 in for Bobby Hackett? Have loved him since I was a kid and Dad played his music on the stereo.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    ME!

I'm sure all these other cats are great but I'm putting in time to make ME a better player. They already know how to play.

Tom

4. Jimmy Fletcher

Jimmy Fletcher New Friend

Jun 14, 2012
    Johannesburg/Manchester
    Changes from week to week. Listening and learning with Marcus Wyatt at the moment. Good stuff.

Can't beat a shot of Don Cherry.

go get it.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    With a classical upbringing and training Maurice Andre, however I listen to all genres and enjoy them all.

Regards, Stuart.

6. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    I can't choose just one, but I'd add Timofei Dokshitser to the guys listed already.

7. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Trumpet players like Harry Glantz, Malcolm McNab, Chris Martin, Bud Herseth and Tom Stevens need to be mentioned as well. There is a quality there of musicianship with daily performances with no room for error, while taking risks in the performance in which every nuance is subject to examination. Play jazz and lead are very different from holding a orchestra chair or being first call for a studio gig. Both have great players, but for my money it is the classical world that excites me the most.

8. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
  9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I could listen to Chet Baker or Clifford Brown all day. Lee Morgan and Miles for most of the day.