who is your favorite trumpeter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Sep 12, 2011.

1. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Gentleman: I agree that all of the musician mentioned are great musicians. However, my favorite trumpet players are those with great technical skill and sound production in the context of a whole. I note that many of the individuals mentioned are "mostly" soloists in the context of performance, and not actual ensemble players.

My preference goes to the ensemble players that enhance the group, even when performing passages that feature the color and timbre of the trumpet. Think of Glantz in Pictures or the Pines of Rome; Stevens is Also Sprach Zarathusa, and the entire section with their unisons and octaves; or even McNab with all of the solos in support of the movies that you have heard. Great players, with ability to reproduce these entrances every time; and then again one more time.

2. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    1.Freddie Hubbard back in the day before all the commercial stuff
    2.Woody Shaw
    3.Lee Morgan
    4.Clifford Brown
    5.Booker Little
    But my favorite Jazzer of all time is Miles Davis though, He was not as much of a player as these others but what he said conceptually was pure genius.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. Trumpetplayer24

Trumpetplayer24 Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2013
    UK
    Wynton Marsalis, Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Another thought .. my favorite trumpeter ... there is also the personal aspect ..
    would would be Ron Mesa .. one of our local pros ... who I chat with and have had over to the house for dinner and to talk all things trumpet .. great chops and really just a cool dude..
    TM's Solar Ball, Chuck Willard ... honestly I enjoy reading his Facebook post and seeing what he is up to.
    and fellow TMer Gmonady .... guy with big chops and a bigger heart

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, GM has to be way up there on the list -- at least for us who listen to him, and count him as a friend!!!!

6. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I stated playing trumpet late in life @ 56yrs. I'm 62 now and have recordings of the current and past top soloist's. However I'm going for a fellow who I enjoyed listening to along with my mum and dad on the old variety shows on TV in the UK.
    The late great Eddie Calvert. I think i'm right in saying the Eddie is the only instrumentalist who had two No 1's in the UK charts in the 1950's.

7. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Only one? Not possible. However, I took up trumpet after to listening to a lot of Satchmo and Harry James when I was a kid.

8. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Ill just name 5 of the past 2 of the present; Clifford brown, Miles, Dizzy, Clark terry, Lee morgan ; Christian Scott , Chris Botti

I dont know how someone could come up with just 1 favorite;my head would explode trying 2 decide

9. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Timofei Dokshizer and Bill Chase.

10. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Alison Balsom...and myself...mainly because my sound is more like hers. :p
    I'm consistently told that I make my Chicago C sound like a picc. :S
    And I love musicians for their phrasing and tone...I had never heard trumpeters phrase well until Balsom.