who is your favorite trumpeter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Sep 12, 2011.

1. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
  2. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
  3. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    Hmmm, first would have to be my girlfriend Erin. Met her at all state band and she's better than I am, which is saying something. Next would be Tine Thing Helseth because of her amazing tone, followed by Rindberger for his amazing performance of The Green Hornet.

4. nelmsimprov

nelmsimprov New Friend

Aug 9, 2010
    Tidewater area, Virginia
    Nicholas Payton for me. I relate to his tone, and musical personality more than most any other trumpet player...but I do love Art Farmer and Freddie Hubbard as well. I tend to favor trumpet players that approach the music more transcendically than aesthetically, Although aesthetics are very essential, I hope you see where I stand. :)

5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Louis Armstrong, Dizzie Gillespie, Miles Davis, Cat Anderson, Harry James, Chet Baker, Raphael Mendez, Maurice Andre, Maynard Ferguson, Indeed there are so many.

6. eddbree

eddbree New Friend

Dec 31, 2011
    Bill Chase

7. Bad Luck Lux

Bad Luck Lux New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson, Az.
    That's a tough one, really. I mean I could go for the cliches like Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, or Freddie Hubbard; and who could forget Wynton Marsalis? Bubber Miley also comes to mind...... But one of my jazz instructors once asked me who my favorite was and I told him Louis Armstrong to which he replied "Well, then. If you ain't your fafvorite trumpet-player then get the **** out." So I guess I'd have to say I am.

8. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Gotta say that I grew up in a house listening to jazz, and the very first trumpeter I heard was Lee Morgan, then Miles Davis, Clark Terry, Cat Anderson, Nat Aderly, Dizzy,.....Maynard, Sandoval, Chet, Doc, & others came later, but Lee Morgan really inspired my style.. "Expoobident":cool::-). Oh of course Louis Armstrong...but there are many others not listed by me, and I came to realize that I'm my favorite ever!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    My favourite is probably Tine (Tina) Thing Helseth. No one's trumpeting has ever moved me as much as hers. Her tone, her style, her grace with playing... it's masterful and absolutely awe-inspiring. Also, her trumpet and her are both very beautiful, which definitely contributes to how appealing the whole performance is... ;)

Also, she's Norwegian. +1 to Scandinavia!

10. gatorman

gatorman Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2012
    Durango Colorado
    Al " He's the KING" HIRT - never heard a more versatile player with such power grace and emotion and of course .. technique-- at his very best on Billy May's arrangements on Horn a Plenty's LP in 1963 playing in FRONT of Conrad Gozzo, Uan Rasey, and Mannie Klein..What a legacy...!!!!