who is your favorite trumpeter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Excellent !!!

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Chet, Miles, Tine, Alison B., and VetPschwars.

3. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Hands down my favorite player of all time is Harry James.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Arturo is OK --- but I actually think people gravitate toward someone they "assimilate too" ---- in other words we can admire a Chet Baker, or a Doc Severinsen, a Louis Armstrong -------------because for us "older" posters on this thread, we naturally heard these American players in our formative years in the 60's and 70's, maybe even up to the 1980's ------ but at that point (at least for me) I never heard of Arturo.

Now Cindy Bradley, Tine Thing Helseth, Alison Balsom, Ingrid Jensen ----- and some other "female" players ---- I think some of us are caught up in the beauty of the tone, and the whole package of the trumpet and the player --- the whole combination ---- even for some of us "older" players, it is still exciting to see a young lady make beautiful sounds with a trumpet --- blond hair doesn't hurt the sound!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Wynton Marsalis in the early '80s.

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend $5 (that was the price for everyone) for a ticket to a concert at Clark College (now Clark Atlanta University) when he started his first tour after making a name for himself with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers. He made that trumpet do whatever he chose. At one point, I wondered why they ran his mike through a reverb and then realized there was no reverb; it was him! Not one clam in the entire performance, either, and it was a long one.

Within the next few years he did a classical music concert on TV, which was the most beautiful classical concert I have ever heard, and the only one that has ever brought me to tears.

Through the years he has done so much to inspire and promote young talent with his concert tours and Jazz at Lincoln Center. He has his critics, and I am among them, but nobody's perfect, and he's Number One in my opinion.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think I can do you one better... I saw Wynton at Gilly's in Dayton, the same week he won his first Grammys for BOTH classical and jazz music... his band... some guy named Branford, and an old man named Ellis... both with the same last name... what a coincidence... and the price of the ticket... was $1 more... that meant I spent $6 for the whole show... Don't see value like that any more.

7. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    The one and only Maynard Ferguson.

8. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Lew Soloff. I was a wide-eyed toothy kid and was mesmerized by the power of the horn. I would listen to Blood, Sweat, and Tears for hours just to hear him play.

My first trumpet instructor in NYC was pretty awesome too. A man named Jay Manning who could play in the stratosphere, but also had a soulful tone that I emulated.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Linda Briceno

bumblebee likes this.
  10. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Even though I mentioned Sergei Nakariakov earlier, I have actually been struggling to name just one player as my favourite one. So interpreting the question literally, rather than as "Who is the well-known pro trumpeter you like to listen to" I would say my favourite is my 8-year-old son.

--bumblebee