Who needs a mouthpiece puller?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 7, 2011.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This was on the cover of a recent NAPBIRT (National Association of Professional Band Instrument Technicians) magazine.
    [​IMG]

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I want that case!

Why am I not surprised that someone would ruin a $50-$100 case because of being afraid of direct contact with a tech that could have criticized..............

A mouthpiece puller is cheaper than replacing the case!

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've seen middle school students go weeks/months with a case that won't close due to a stuck mp. One kid just used a bungee cord around the case, and when asked was perpetually "going to get it fixed this weekend".

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Should submit this to thereifixedit.com!

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It would make a great practice mute! Just cut 3 more holes (one for each finger)!

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I love that pic........ I want a case like that too!!!

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Brilliant!!

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    It needs an additional little box, attached by Velcro, to protect the mouthpiece !

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps something in the middle like innovative. There are just times that you gotta do what you gotta do. In long term cases are expendable while the instrument may not be. On the other hand, many a back yard handyman could make that case again doable for many years more.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And I ponder why intrumental music teachers / tutors do not have a mouthpiece puller on hand and are competent with its use. Yeah, I don't know of a college that teaches such other than those with music instrument tech courses. Oddly enough I do believe more mouthpiece pullers are in the hands of non-techs than there are in tech shops.