Who needs a mouthpiece puller?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 7, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The sad part is that this is really common ... it's even in a youtube video about how creative parents can be when an instrument needs repair.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Haha that picture is great. The creativity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, it is so common that I see no rationale why parents that acquire a brass instrument don't acquire a mouth piece puller and learn how to use it at the time they get a instrument for their child. Then too, perhaps a dab of lanolin on the outside of the mouthpiece shank would lessen the potential of it getting severly stuck and lessen the wear. Methinks in time as the wear through becomes greater the gap lessens. This wear is occurring in the receiver too. I just acquired a Bach 7C that intensely shows the application of pliers to remove it. Still it is serviceable and will be much better when rehabbed and replated.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
    Aydn likes this.
  4. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Ahahaha.

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    never under estimate the creative thinking of young kids. a friend of mine who was a middle school band director told me after he thought he had seen everything had a trombone player come up to him complaing that his slide didn't seem right. after he inspected the horn he asked what the lines on the inner slides were - the kid said he took an etching pencil and marked the different slide positions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
    Aydn likes this.
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To mark a trombone slide correctly would require an amazingly complex knowledge of acoustical mathematics, and even then such would be just a guideline as would vary with tuning and player ability. Even as an Ed math major, it is difficult to teach logarithms to students in a way they understand their usage. Then too, such would vary instrument to instrument of the same make and model. I've now been so long away from my own trombone that I'd have to totally begin anew at re-learning the 6 extended positions.

7. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    What was this genius thinking? I can't believe anyone could be stupid enough to commit such a blunder!

He should obviously have cut an even larger hole in the opposite side of the case so the bell could protrude and allow the mouthpiece to remain inside the case protected from possible damage.

8. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    He doesn't know he needs a new case:D

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    He might have except blocks inside the case wouldn't allow it.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    He would only need that when his mute got stuck!