Who needs a mouthpiece puller?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Sep 7, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So the last time you used that Bobcat, was it to bulldoze down Kingtrumpet with him still in it? Have not heard from him in quite a while, and he did not turn up surfing in The Wide Brown Oz, so I am only guessing he was taken down by a wild Bobcat driver!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is the appropriate set of 3 valve units to accommodate each brother (dad would have to lay back however and remain on piano accompaniment).

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I could only estimate that I've used a mouthpiece puller about 25 times, but my own only 3 times. yet only once on a horn of my own, a used one that I had just bought in that condition (and have subsequently resold as was otherwise for more than 10 times what I paid for it, much more).

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK, It looks like I am the uninformed one in this discussion direction. In the 40+ years I have been playing trumpet and flugelhorn, I have never had to use a mouthpiece puller. So, what does one of these suckers (ah, pullers) look like?

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    [​IMG]

BTW, I've got 2 three-piece-screw-on mouthpiece, and any each has 2 of the parts that won't unscrew (not that it is important) - what would you do to unblock the screw?

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I bet a valve oil company designed it. :)

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The black plate sits on the edge of the receiver and as you turn the screws the white parts separate pulling the mouthpiece out of the receiver. They come with different sized black plates to provide the same remedy for different sized mouthpieces.

I was about age 15 when I first used one that our band director had, and that was about 60 years ago, and was a little different than the one shown but the same mechanical concept. Best, if one has another hold the trumpet (or other horn) as this is done or you do it above a very soft cushioned surface like a bed.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, the one I used 30 years ago with our kids was somewhat similar. It reminded me of a red vice grip (wonder if the same company made them). It had a bunch of half washers that inserted into the puller to match either the receiver or mouthpice (don't remember which). THis one looks a little newer in design, but still the same principle.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I remember, Steve, how you discribe yours comes much closer to that I first used. The "washers" snugged on the mouthpiece shank as then set upon the edge of the instrument receiver.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed did you jam the MP back in before you sold it - or was the removal considered "Value Added"?