Who played Getzen Eternas besides me and Doc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CMDR47, Feb 17, 2012.

1. CMDR47

CMDR47 New Friend

Aug 13, 2009
    A friend just said to me he didn't think much of the (older) Getzen Eternas. . . Doc was the only one who played it! I guess my question has to be, who else (who's supposed to be anybody) played the horn? I have played a lot of different horns: pros cheapies and student varieties but still like the early Eterna . . . what's up?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, using the format of your title . . . me and Doc and Larry Ford.

I bought one of the first productions. I played it at North Texas and in the service. Many of you won't know who Larry Ford was, but I was with Larry at North Texas and later in the Air Force. He played lead in the One O'clock Band, the NORAD band, and in Woody and Stan's bands (all in the 1960s), and later was a first-call player in L.A., as well as playing in Toshiko's band. I don't know what he played in L.A. but I was with him for about three years in the AF (late 60s) and he played a Severinson model then. Very refined player.

Your friend said he didn't think very much of them. I'll be honest about the Getzen. I tried Schilkes and didn't like the looser slotting vis a vis my current trumpet. I really liked the Benges I tried but couldn't afford them. I considered my Severinson my poor man's Benge, since it gave me what I got from the Benges but at a price I could afford. I'll add that at the time, there were other players also playing some of the higher pitched Getzens in symphony orchestras, as well.

I don't know what your friend has against them. What kind of chops and experience does he have?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    John Audino, Snooky Young, Lee Loughnane, Freddie Hubbard, Thad Jones, William Vachiano, (among others), played Getzens. (according to the 1977 Getzen catalog) Might not have necessarily been Eternas.

Garry

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I loved the sound of my old 900S (retired now) but didn't like the way the G above the staff was sharp, (fingering 12 was flat and 13 with slide was a bother) so ended up with a Schilke. Still love my tricked-out Capri C, though.

Before he switched to Monette, Charles Schlueter played Getzens. Snooky Young played them too.

Enjoy!

5. CMDR47

CMDR47 New Friend

Aug 13, 2009
    Ironically. alot of players in the service used them early on. I bought mine in 1966 along with several other players at the USNTC band in San Diego. Besides myself, Gary Grant who left the Navy stepped right into the Thundering Herd lread slot. The trumpet and flugal horn sets were great . . . I still have and love both of my Getzens. Turns out it wasn't just me and Doc! . . . cool!

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I think Doc was the VP of Getzen's marketing dept. at the time he played the Eterna. I've played a few Eternas and think they are nice horns. I played a Schilke B6 in the Coast Guard band though.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I play a Getzen Eterna flugelhorn, and in addition to Freddie Hubbard, Rick Braun also played the Eterna until just recently. On this site, TrumpetMD and rowuk also play Getzen Eterna flugelhorns.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I dug around the house and found 4 pages of the April 1970(!) Getzen Gazette which I picked up at the NAMM Show in Chicago that year. I was student at the time and we could get in for free. There were more pages, but I can't find them right now.
    Anyway, there are a few names in there who were Getzen artists back then. One was Fred Sautter who was at the time playing lead trumpet on the Moscow Circus tour in the West Coast and later became the principal trumpet in the Portland Symphony. Knud Hovaldt, principal trumpet of the Royal Danish Philharmonic, John Dickenson and Allen Young of the Halle Orchestra were all playing Getzen Eternas.
    There is an article on Rick Metzger, the then principal trumpet of the Milwaukee Symphony who was a consultant to Getzen. I might think he was on an Eterna for his work in the orchestra.
    Most interestingly, there is an article on a 12th grader at that time, a certain Allen Vizzutti! It does not say he played a Getzen, nor does it imply he did at that time, but one thing is for certain, Doc Severinsen already knew of him and said Allen was one of the finest talents he had ever heard. The picture of Allen certainly is that of a teenage Allen Vizzutti.
    Also, there are two Getzen players on this site. Solar Bell and Nick Drozdoff, both of whom are using Getzen Eternas (Severinsen models, I believe) from that era in their daily professional work. I know Nick's is a large bore and he plays the heck out of it.
    A Severinsen model from that era is one of a handful of trumpets I would love to have.
    RT.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Dont want to toot my own horn...wait a minute, I love tooting my own horn...but I play an Eterna. I earn money with it so I consider myself a professional. OK I have a day job that pays the bills, but Ive payed for cash or food or drinks and that counts, right? Im not nearly good enough to go full time, especially in Dubuque where music jobs are scarce so its my hoby. If It was work I just wouldnt like it. Best wishes.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Getzen valves blocks weigh a ton. My modular horn getzen/edwards can be taken apart. The entire bulk of the weight in the valve block weighs more than the bell and slides.

Forget who played what...if you like stuff built like a tank then Getzen is for you. Of course Bach/Shilke/Stomvi also make some damn fine horns. Early Eterna is nothing to sneeze at unless you've got mold in those old valves.