Who played which Committee

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by musiclifeline, Dec 14, 2004.

1. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    So everyone knows that lots and lots of the greats did (and many still do) play Committees for at least part of their careers. Anyone got a list of who played which bore size (large or medium)?

I assume Maynard played a large bore...
    I hear Chet played a large bore early on.
    I've heard Miles played a large bore and didn't like the medium...

What about Art Farmer, KD, Diz, Conte Candoli, and the countless others?

(This is purely for curiosity's sake.... no list is being compiled for publication, so hearsay is fine too.)

2. wardsd

wardsd New Friend

Jan 15, 2004
    Here is a list of what they played http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/player-horn.html

However, no real mention of Bore size typically.

I thought most of them played the medium bore. Maynard I would have guessed as a medium bore. He played the Conn 38B which is a small bore. Many of the players that play real high like the back pressure of a medium bore horn.

Steve

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Someone told me once that Maynard played medium and medium large bore horns (Constellation and Committe) until his association with Holton when the ultra-large bore horns became THE thing. However, don't quote me, it's just something that I heard once. I also heard once that Maynard could (and did) blow up the tire on the tour bus when they got a flat on the road, such was the strength of his chops and lungs. I know, it seems laughable, but this one time, at band camp......That's where I heard the story - at the CSU band camp in Fort Collins in 1986.

So, with that in mind, take it for what it's worth.

4. musiclifeline

musiclifeline New Friend

Mar 18, 2004
    Manhattan
    Hmm, I had a feeling someone would point to that player/horn list. Unfortunately, that's of no help whatsoever, though I do appreciate the effort.

The Connstellation is a small bore horn, but the size of the bell makes the bore size relatively meaningless--I have one, and despite its .438, it really does feel as open as my large bore Committee. That, and there's the fact that there's only one bore size for the Connstellation, so there's no question of which one anyone would have used.

The Committees, on the other hand, have bell sizes proportional to their bore size. I would doubt that Maynard would have played the medium bore, because that's a relatively tight-feeling horn, and he seemed to gravitate towards bigger stuff. I should have asked him when I met him, but I didn't think of it. D'oh.

I've heard Diz played a medium bore, but I gotta say, I've used it in a big band and really felt buried in the section (lucky for me, esp on those Thad Jones charts...). But I do realize the high-note guys preferred smaller equipment.... I'm more of a low-note guy myself.

What I'm really curious is about the other guys, like Candoli, Farmer, Dorham, etc. (Again, no particular reason, just being a geek and wasting time at my day job.)