Who plays Conn Vintage One?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by slimshady, Feb 22, 2004.

1. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    Tommorrow I'll be blowing thru a Conn Vintage One.

Any of you guys who play one.....let's talk about em! And if you know any BIG names playing them for sure.....let's list em!

See Ya!

2. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    It's a great horn. If you're seriously thinking about buying one, then try to sample the three leadpipes, #34, #46 and #50, I think. They really change the feel. What mpc will you be using and what type of playing do you do?

Also, try both the rose-brass and yellow-brass bells. Generally, I prefer the yellow-brass, but I think I'm in the minority.

Dave

3. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I have to say this horn has the most beautiful sound of any horn I have ever played. I can easily play the at the softest volumes with a warm full open sound. With increase in volume this horn resonates and projects like no other I have played. Against the tuner the horn plays just about perfectly in tune.....as close as you can ask for.

Slurs seem to be effortless....especially G to 4th space E. The horn plays so evenly and never shuts down.....always remaining open!

4. trumpeterb

trumpeterb Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    Carl Fischer, touring with Maynard right now, plays one. I also believe that one of the other trumpets in his band plays a CV1. I am going to see them on Sunday, so I will ask Carl.

Andy

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Yup,

Carl (Fischer) plays a Conn V-1, as does Kevin Meads (3rd trumpet and Maynards personal valet). Don't know the models the play, but they are both sounding "very good".

6. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Hey, Slim,

When my Eclipse comes in, I'll let you play it, if I can play your Conn. You'll just have to promise to give it back.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Marcus Printup used to play one (goldplate?) but I think he plays a Lawler now.

James Watson plays the Sterling silver bell model.

Very nice trumpets - I liked all the versions I tried; sterling silver, yellow and rose brass.