Who remembers this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blind Bruce, Jun 16, 2009.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    James Burke was the solo cornet and Armando Ghitalla played Eb cornet
    Paul Lavalle conducted the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra for many years.
    Wilmer

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Are you, like me, old enough to have listened to that fantastic radio program? If you are, you must also be in your seventies.

OLDLOU>>

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Speak for yourself. I'm only 67, but there could be a lot of younger people out there who remember the program since it was on the air until 1956.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    On the subject of The Band Of America, I am looking for a full band set of charts for that Band Of America March. None of the local sheet music dealers have it, or can find it. Any strong suggestions?

OLDLOU>>

5. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I'm a Kid of Today (well, I'm 23...) and even I yearn for the good old days.... which ironically i don't remember as I wasn't around back then...

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It doesn't look all that promising for finding a full score and parts. Here are two links, one of which mentions the condition of the parts but does say where it can be rented. (That same link, up a level or two, has a list of sources which may have more information.)

James Madison University Libraries

I don't know whether it would be possible to rent, borrow, or copy the parts from the second source, but they do appear to have the piece in their library:

Band Of America March

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I'm going on 67 also and recall the show and the band. Have had several lp's over the years, but all were from the bins and had lots of scratches or extra grooves. One I have now is Cities Service 50th anniversary "Jubilee Marches"
    Semper Fi, Washington Post, El Capitan, United States Overture, Horns-a-plenty, Battle Hymn of the Republic, Gary Owen, U. S. Air Force, South Rampart Street Parade, Pitter Pat Parade, Stars and Stripes. This is a compilation via special pressing by RCA Custom Records. The other is " A Sunday Band Concert"which incluedes : The Klaxon, In the still of the night, Guadalcanal March, Them Basses, South Rampart Street Parade, Flute Flight, Gary Owen, God of our Fathers, March Grandioso, Invercargill, Battle Hymn, Pitter Pat Parade , on RCA. Looks like some of these were used on the 50th
    Anniversary Album.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yessir!

[​IMG]

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I also remember the Military Air Transport Service and the Super Constelation.

OLDLOU>>