Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    For me, it was Harry James. My Dad had this old LP that had the Brave Bulls on it and that was my very favorite. He had such a sweet, honey-like tone. Also, had the one of him playing Carnival of Venice.. Then, I moved on to Al Hirt, then Doc Severinsen. My favorite Doc album was Doc Severinsen's Closet with these somewhat cheesy Don Sebesky arrangements. Of course some of them were pretty good, and Doc's playing was so tight, beautiful and profound throughout. He hits a High Double-A on this end of this Beetle's Arrangement that is just stunning.

Then, one day my Dad picked me up a Maynard CD at a department store. Maynards' "The Big F" Album. I never heard of Maynard and it completely blew me away. I was hooked ever since. A year later he took me to a Maynard COncert in around 1975 at Loretto Heights College Theatre in Denver. I have never heard anything like it. Maynard was just surreal. He had this way of building you up to a most unlikely climax...then just when you though what he was about to do was impossible - he exceeded your expectations.

It took me a while to warm to other players afer I heard about Maynard. , but the older I got I started appreciating Miles, Freddie, Wynton..

Funny how it all started with Harry James playing The Brave Bulls.

2. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    For me it was Roger Voisin with his series of LPs "Music for Trumpet and Orchestra". I wish they were reissued on CDs! One of the highlights of my college years was hearing him do "Quiet City" live with the BSO.
    Roy Griffin

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Arturo Sandoval! The first song I heard him play was A Night In Tunisia from Live At The Royal Festival Hall...I was spellbound..:-)

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Great question! Louis, then Harry

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adolph Scherbaum, Al Hirt, Rafael Mendez, Herb Alpert. Then later Maurice André, Lew Soloff, Armondo Ghitalla, Gil Johnson, even later Maynard, Bill Chase, Heinz Zickler, Mel Broiles. Then I turned 18 and got turned on to the rest.......................

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Wynton Marsalis. One of his classical albums was the first trumpet CD I ever had. Pretty soon I started listening to Maurice Andre, Bud Herseth, Maynard Ferguson...the list goes on, but Wynton happened to be the first.

7. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I really got into trumpet playing after hearing Stardust by Harry, then got further into it by hearing his Trumpet for Concerto. Now I'm really getting into Doc's playing

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Louis Armstrong and Herb Alpert. Then Maurice Andre, Manard Ferguson, and Chuck Mangione.

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Rafael Mendez, Louis Armstrong, Ziggy Elman, Roy Eldridge, Yank Lawson, Howard McGhee, Harry James, Jonah Jones, Bunny Berigan, Bix on cornet on old 78's - all about the same time. Being a child of the 1940's wasn't all bad.

10. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    Louis Armstrong, Herb Alpert and Harry James to start. Then Maurice, Maynard and Doc. Now they all inspire me.