Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    John Maguda, and Allen Vizzutti then Wynton

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    How could I miss mentioning Doc?:shock:

another that inspired me wasn't a pro, a lead player from another high school from down in the Columbus area. we were at a stage band clinic when I heard him solo. What a sound he had!the whole section was playing the new then 60B's..........Buck:play:

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    For me, i heard carnival of venice performed my wynton, i was very young, and it influenced me heavily, then i started listening to jazz, i didnt know who to listen to, a couple people on here opened my ears to clifford. since then, ive been a cliff follower, and im starting to get turned on to charlie parkers stuff (not a trumpet, but a heck of a musician!) and when he plays with miles its magic! i dig it.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Anyone who could play better than I could. And that was pretty well everybody.:thumbsup:

5. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    Herb Alpert, Al Hirt, Harry James, Sweets Edison, Arturo Sandoval, Chris Botti, Rick Braun, Alison Balsom, and Amanda Pepping. Hope to add Kiku Collins name to the list too--wish she had some more CDs out.

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I remember when we got our Motorola black & white television. I was maybe 5 years old or so. We had really poor reception, and only got two channels. I think we were watching Ed Sullivan and this guy with a gravely voice came out. All I could make out was a trumpet, a handkerchief, and lots of very white teeth. Then he started to play that trumpet, and I was hooked. It was like a switch was turned on. From that moment on, I loved music, I loved the trumpet, and maybe most of all I loved old Pops.

7. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My Dad...listening to the 78 LP recordings of his big band; and, later when he picked up his horn, once again.

8. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The first recording artists that inspired me were Maurice Andre and Maynard Ferguson, but the first live performer that really blew me away was Charlie Schlueter. I was 15 and meeting with him at Symphony Hall before a BSO concert for my first of many lessons. I was working on the Hindemith Sonata for All-State auditions and when he took my horn and mouthpiece out of my hands and played the second page of the first movement for me -- HOLY SMOKES! I had never heard a trumpet resonate like that, especially up so close. Definitely a keeper of a memory :)

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Sigh. I have to admit, Herb Alpert. My dad was into a lot of neat music but was not into jazz or bigband. I'm sure I got a lot of that through osmosos though, from TV shows, movies, and just sort of the background music of life in Hawaii in the 1960s/70s where a lot of WWII vets retired and in a way took their music with them.

I'm fairly certain my dad had some classical with trumpet it in it, Maurice Andre maybe?

10. SteveMac

SteveMac New Friend

May 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    How long ago was this in Columbus?

My first was also Doc. Later I liked Maynard, and Bill Chase, but Doc was the first.