Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, guys!

My absolute first (after some careful thought) was Roger Voisin, I think. I remember (as a very young child) loving the sound of brass and organ on the E. Power Biggs recording "Music of Jubilee" with the New England Brass Quintet (I think) of which Voisin was lead (again, I think. The LP is at home, and I'm at work) . Specifically, it was the track "Now Christ Doth End in Triumph" from Bach's Christmas Cantata, that was my favorite piece on the LP.

Regardless of who the brass players were, that's the recording, I think, that is largely responsible for my current trumpet activity.

Then, after I started on trumpet, it was Herb Alpert and the TJB. I played along with his records for hours every (nearly) day, and thus developed my chops, as well as my ability to play along with others without a conductor, all before I even got into Jr High band in fourth grade. I sounded just like him!

Later, of course, Bud became my model of how I want to play. (not to mention Maurice Andre, for solo work)

I think that's it!

Guy

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ziggy Coyle stage Band clinic, should've been about '66 or '67. can't remember which school he was with, but i remember that the school that hosted the clinic was Whitehall, I believe. Solo was on "The Good Life". i had a reel to reel copy of the recording that was made of the clinic, but have since lost it. Would love to get a copy of that again, that fellow, whoever he was, had SOUND!:play:
    I went to Timken Vocational, stage band was called The Starlites. Only can remember two of the three songs we did, " Willow Weep For Me", and "Caravan"...............Buck:oops:

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    well he isnt exactly pro, I was just getting into DCI and one of my friends showed me a video of Scott Dean "The Machine" and I heard his double C in the 2003 Blue Devils Show, and then I kicked my butt into gear wanting to do that, now I want to march some DCI corps and become a band director, now I go on the internet looking for new music, and I listen soley to classical and practice 2-3 hrs per day, I caught the trumpet playing desease, all of my pay check is spent on music and such :thumbsup:

4. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Maurice Murphy, on the Star Wars films

5. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    For me, it was Al Hirt, Herb Alpert and Maynard Ferguson.

I still play their albums!

6. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    After seeing his name pop up so often here I don't feel quite as embarassed to admit now but one of my very first inspirations to play trumpet was Herb Alpert and the TJB. My dad had all of his LPs. I used to grab my dads old trumpet and play along with them...or I should say try to play along lol. I was only about 6 years old and couldn't read a note of music yet. My dad taught me a few fingerings and with some trial and error I was playing a few tunes. Guess I was blessed with a pretty good ear at an early age. Soon I was trying to play along with all kinds of records, a practice I carried on well into college.
    Another key influence was Louis Armstrong. I remember seeing him on some TV show and his infectous personality and exciting playing captured my heart. To this day every time I hear a recording by "Pops" a smile comes to my face. Thank you Louie!
    As a child of the late 60's through 70's there were so many great "horn bands" playing on the radio. Chicago, Earth Wind and Fire, Tower of Power and Blood Sweat & Tears to name just a few were part of my early appreciation of the trumpet.
    Also seeing/hearing Doc 5 nights a week on the Tonight Show (when I could sneak and stay up late) was a treat.
    On the classical side of things I remember my grandmother had this LP of Scheherazade with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago SO. I did not know at the time but this was my first exposure of the legendary Bud Herseth. I recall being amazed on how fast and clean he could tongue in the finale and asked to myself "how did he do that?".
    By the time I reached high school I was introduced to Maynard and the flood gates opened. I soon wanted to get my hands on more. Kenton and others soon followed.
    I knew then this is what I wanted to pursue in college and I wanted to become a professional trumpet player. Once in college I discovered many more heros and even got a chance to meet some of them in person. One of which I owe much gratitude and inspiration.....Bobby Shew. Thank you Bobby you truely are an amazing artist,fantastic teacher and most of all a beautiful human being.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Al Hirt. I heard him play in 1962 and that was that. I had to have a trumpet to play like him.

8. WACtpt

WACtpt New Friend

Nov 13, 2009
    Seattle
    For me it most definitely started with Clifford Brown. I started playing trumpet because of my older cousin, but Clifford truly inspired to work to become a better player. However, I've had a recent rush of inspiration to work even harder after having made Arturo Sandoval's acquaintance this past year.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    For me i was Al Hirt and Herb Alpert. These were the two I was first introduced to, followed closely by the Chicago brass section :)

Man, I wore those albums out.

10. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    My great-uncle, Merwyn Bogue, who played trumpet in the Kay Kyser band under the stage name of Ish Kabibble. He handed down one of his trumpets to my father who played it during high school just prior to WWII. My dad then handed the horn down to me and it has been in my possession since 1959. The trumpet, an Olds French Model serial number 5672 that was produced in Los Angeles, is currently in the process of being restored by Gary Schuchman of Vintage Trumpets.

The link below is to a publicity photo that he signed to me (my nickname was Bing in those days).

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9213/ishkabbible.jpg